Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Foreign SS Helmet

Article about: Hello all, Annoyed from this ads?   I have a question about this SS foreign volunteer's M42 helmet. It's an NS66 helmet, which is unique, from what I understand most helmets of this typ

?

Not trying to break your balls, just being honest about how I feel about the helmet. Wait for Doug and Kelly to comment, they might like it, I for one do not.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Foreign SS Helmet
    P
    Many

G43
    ?

I understand that, I appreciate your opinion. If they don't like it then I'd say I got away lucky, and got a cheap lesson.

?

Just to clarify, these are not facts, just what I've learned thus far. I still make mistakes here and there, I'm only human. I do wish you luck and hope to see you post a textbook example in the future that we can all agree on.

Samir

G43
    ?

It's all part of the learning process, thanks again.

Quote by SSamir View Post
    No it's not the main indicator that it is a foreign issue SS. I could understand if there were 2 Pocher (runic & party) decals placed atop a DD Police, but not a plain jane helmet, especially an NS. It's possible it was an error. Let's not forget that machines did not apply decals on the helmets, humans did.
    As far as the roller buckle type chinstrap, that could have been applied on the field, it was war, so any chinstrap will do, no biggy.
    I have to admit, by the pics you have provided, we might have ourselves an honest Pocher decal, but who's to say if it weren't applied post-war. I have seen honest NS M42's with what appears to be period applied Pochers, but can't say for sure this is one of them. I could be wrong of course.
    Best to wait for Doug. Personally, i'm not 100% convinced this is a war time SS helmet.

Regards
    Samir
    Hi Gents,
    it is absolutely acceptible to have a 'plain jane' helmet with a runic on the 'wrong' side, for foreign volunteer use. I've owned two and they are both in my previous books from the 90s. Of course SSamir is right about the police helmet conversion for foreigners (and this was especially Prinz Eugen, the Ukranians and the Latvians, who all seemed to have gotten EF M42 police helmets and a CA Pocher decal to put on top of the police shield).

As for this helmet, a couple of things: it has a decal that appears fresh, but we have to be cautious because I learned a long, long time ago that helmets can look brand new and be perfectly WWII correct. With a bright Pocher shield like this, provenance is a big contributing factor, and also a good hands-on inspection is also a must. Before condemning it, especially in light of the owner being a solid and decent person and dealer, I would suggest getting a hands-on inspection at no cost to the buyer, which I am sure he would grant. That would be a proper approach in my opinion. Happy Helmets! Kelly

G43
    ?

Thank you for your advice Kelly. However, even if I did receive the helmet for an inspection, what would be some indicators I should look for in order to determine if the Pocher was WWII applied?

?

Smile

Hi Kelly,

Thanks for chiming in. I accept your assessment. Fair enough.

G43, like I stated earlier, you can never be sure when the decal was applied. Good luck.

Regards
    Samir
    Last edited by SSamir; 09-26-2014 at 07:44 PM.

There are a number of indicators of period versus recent application, but there are an equal number of qualifiers too. For example, if I said compare the condition of the surrounding finish and overall helmet to the condition of the decal, to look for an imbalance in condition as an indicator, there might be such an imbalance. But, field applied decals by their nature will look a little better than the helmet itself because most were not issued at exactly at the same time. So that's one. Another example would be a crack, which this decal displays... newly applied decals crack, but frankly, so did the old ones if they were done hastily in the field (and by saying 'field' I'm including in garrison or any condition that is not the pure depot or factory environment). Also, newly applied old decals actually just blow apart. This one has a high degree of integrity, suggesting to me its been on there a relatively long time. Finally, experience helps a lot and is not terribly easy to impart in one email or posting. It's a process over time. I do know for sure that pictures don't substitute having it in hand. I hope this helps-- my experience has told me these things are important. You have to follow your instincts a bit on this stuff. Also, get an ironclad guarantee of authenticity, with no statute of limitations, and if something gets revealed down the road, you always have recourse to get your money back. Best of Luck, K

Hello again G43, all I would add is really going back to my 1st (and only) post, is that it is your money so feel 100% comfortable about what you are buying. Kelly is as ever "spot on" with his assessment, he has had more helmets in his hands over the years than I have had pints of beer( and I drink shed loads) ! That said, it is such an unusual configuration, so do you really want an "is it, isn't it" (Kelly himself said he has only had two like this one over the years), bugging in your head everyday? If the Vet provenance was with it I would "snap it up", but without it I would wait for an over decaled ex police helmet myself. It's all in your hands my friend(literally) Good luck which ever way you go. Leon.

?

I agree with much of what Kelly says, however my instincts say that crack in the decal, and being on a "new" M42, would have me pass on it as there is just no way to prove, unless it has bulletproof vet provenance, when the decal was applied. 1942 or 1972?

M42 helmets with mint Pocher decals, in particular ones that have application cracks, are something that would bother me forever. Like Kelly says, you have to follow your instincts on something like this and if you like it, then buy it but have a 100% lifetime money back guarantee on it, and remember that at some point you may want to sell or trade it down the road to another collector.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast