Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

German helmet find

Article about: All I know is if someone took a fingernail to my SS decals I would pull their fingernails out. After removing their fingers first... The Q M40 decals are notorious for adherence and flaking

Default German helmet find

Hey all,
    I found this helmet at a pawn shop and I was looking to buy it. I took a few pictures and wanted to know if it was real. The decals aren't repros that I could tell, but I haven't seen one with 2 decals before. I just want to know what helmet it is, what german division might have worn it and if it is worth the purchase.

German helmet find German helmet find

German helmet find

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German helmet find
    P
    Many

Default Re: German helmet find

Looks to me like a post war czech issue that someone has put SS decals on. The inkstamp on the rim and staples on the liner are not WW2 German and so by process of elimination, neither are the decals I'm afraid ......... no more than $100 would be my estimation.

Regards, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Correct me if I'm wrong but a double decal SS M42 would be REALLY rare - hence suspicious. NH

This helmet is no good sorry.
    chris

?

Bad one, and you will never tell what German division (there were hundreds of them not to mention the various supporting battalions and regiments) a helmet was worn unless it is unit marked.

Okay. I figured that the decals were real because I did two things to see if they were. I scratched at it with my fingernail and see if it would come off with that and it didn't. I also felt them to see if I could feel the outside of the decals and felt nothing but metal. The stamp on the inner part of the helmet shell was also in the right place it should be as well. And, correct me if I'm wrong, doesn't 3 rivets mean it was a combat helmet?

?

Oh my...there's a lot more to authenticity than a fingernail scratch. The helmet shell is an authentic enough M42, albeit appearing postwar repainted. However the liner, chinstrap are postwar and decals are reproductions. The value of this is therefore negligible. There are some good pinned threads in this section I would recommend reading.
    Cheers
    Doug
    Last edited by DougB; 04-26-2013 at 01:14 PM.

This is an M42 shell....that's it. Nothing more than that. I'd buy it to restore it to a fresh off the assembly line helmet, but nothing more than that. It's as was said above, post war messed with. Also, the M35, M40 AND M42 helmet models had three rivets. I think a few prototypes are known to not have air vents, but I've only seen one in a book.

Quote by Bl00dSniper266 View Post
    Okay. I figured that the decals were real because I did two things to see if they were. I scratched at it with my fingernail and see if it would come off with that and it didn't. I also felt them to see if I could feel the outside of the decals and felt nothing but metal. The stamp on the inner part of the helmet shell was also in the right place it should be as well. And, correct me if I'm wrong, doesn't 3 rivets mean it was a combat helmet?
    Hi Bloodsniper,the helmet is as already been said a re-painted M42 shell with repro parts and bad repro decals.If you come across a helmet in the future that you feel has original decals on it please please DO NOT "scratch" at them with your finger nails.Learn what original decals look like from the resources here on the forum,all you will do by scratching at an original is damage it and de-value YOUR potential purchase!!! Happy hunting, Leon.

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    .If you come across a helmet in the future that you feel has original decals on it please please DO NOT "scratch" at them with your finger nails. Leon.
    Quite right - that along with bending liner bands to check on rivet bends are what make people cringe - Frank's ( schwerpunkt ) blood would boil!!!
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast