Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

German SS helmet fake?

Article about: Hi, Thanks for your help, has anyone dealt with IMA before or know if they've used a batch number on their repro shells thats around the 800 mark, the shell could be one of theirs as he has

?

Default Re: German SS helmet fake?

Hi,
    Thanks for your help, has anyone dealt with IMA before or know if they've used a batch number on their repro shells thats around the 800 mark, the shell could be one of theirs as he has bought one in the past marked 'ET68' and if so then he's knowingly scamming others.
    Last edited by DougB; 06-29-2012 at 04:16 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German SS helmet fake?
    P
    Many

Once you handle enough genuine helmets, you will quickly realize that the type of wear on the decals on this helmet are not natural. The fakers always sand down or gough and scratch up their fake decals. However, this type of wear is not natural and is an easy way to spot a fake.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Hi,

I know what you mean, I think the faker has tried to make it look like a vet capture thats been de-nazified after the war. It makes it a lot harder to spot the decals as fakes

Regards Matt

?

Quote by Matt2 View Post
    Hi,

I know what you mean, I think the faker has tried to make it look like a vet capture thats been de-nazified after the war. It makes it a lot harder to spot the decals as fakes

Regards Matt
    Matt, as long as collectors don't do their homework, the fakers will continue producing these "spitting buckets" (as I like to call them). The more people study, & put them up for review on forums, there will be less produced. Some people like to buy SS lids, but they dont want to do their homework..... c'mon now!

Ask for the batch number in the helmet and then look it up in Brian Ice's reference book. That's how I do it. This one is no good when you look at the pics.

?

Quote by Pumawerk View Post
    Ask for the batch number in the helmet and then look it up in Brian Ice's reference book. That's how I do it. This one is no good when you look at the pics.
    Lot number is not how you authenticate a helmet being SS, lot numbers can be multi-branch and the book is self published therefore has no editorial oversight.

Do you know the SS helmets in his book are all authentic as well? Has he seen them all and has required SS decal/helmet knowledge?

There is no simple way to authenticate an SS helmet, you simply have to know your decals and helmets.

I know that Doug... That's why I just use it as a reference and NOT to authenticate helmets...

?

Quote by Pumawerk View Post
    I know that Doug... That's why I just use it as a reference and NOT to authenticate helmets...
    No worries, it read otherwise. Collectors seriously misuse that book IMO, and dealers/fraudsters will use the data in the book to be a means to an end and suit the purpose of casting fakes into the market.
    Cheers
    Doug

?

A bad stinker.. If you are in the market for one of the most rare and sought after helmet,( M35 double decal SS Normandy camo in size 68!!)I suggest you seek out some reputable dealers out there but trustee, eBay is NOT the place to get them! Don't get me wrong, there can sometimes be some nice items available on there but HIGHLY unlikely .

?

Looks like the ventholes aren't in the right place...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast