MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Half an ss helmet?

Article about: On blue gray relics site there is an interesting ss helmet which is literally chopped in half.I think the guy is saying this happened in battle,but i have a sneaking feeling it was done afte

Default Re: Half an ss helmet?

Such reinforced helmets are few and far between. The nicest one I ever saw was a Kriegsmarine helmet, so I doubt that was done for snipers. I suspect it was some costal arty. soldier that had a lot of time on his hands in sunny France... and access to the tools needed to do it.

I am still not 100% convinced that the helmet in discussion here did not simply rust away above the liner band and disintegrate. The demarcation is not at clean as some are alluding to here. There is a rusty jagged area only the back that does not appear to be anything that would be there if it was cut away with a tool.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Half an ss helmet?
    P
    Many

Jan
    ?

Default Re: Half an ss helmet?

Quote by Wesley's Dad View Post
    Such reinforced helmets are few and far between. The nicest one I ever saw was a Kriegsmarine helmet, so I doubt that was done for snipers. I suspect it was some costal arty. soldier that had a lot of time on his hands in sunny France... and access to the tools needed to do it.

I am still not 100% convinced that the helmet in discussion here did not simply rust away above the liner band and disintegrate. The demarcation is not at clean as some are alluding to here. There is a rusty jagged area only the back that does not appear to be anything that would be there if it was cut away with a tool.
    Looks like damage done by an inexperienced digger trying to pull the helm out of the ground

Rgds Jan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2