Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Helmet M40 Double Decal SS

Article about: G'day All Here's my 1st double decal job Enjoy

?

Default Re: Helmet M40 Double Decal SS

Really good use of new technology....my only hope is that no one will want to buy any decaled helmet without a microscopic photo of he decal.....will this become the new paint testing of this decade???? I can imagine a situation where dealers and sellers will have to provide such images, as "proof of authenticity", in the future

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Helmet M40 Double Decal SS
    P
    Many

Helmet M40 Double Decal SSHelmet M40 Double Decal SSHelmet M40 Double Decal SSRene

This is the lead figurine I mentioned last night. He weighs a ton, must be his RK, and he watches over my fledgling collection with his binos

Just silly neat little stuff we have....

Green
    In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. CE

?

Quote by AMTG View Post
    Really good use of new technology....my only hope is that no one will want to buy any decaled helmet without a microscopic photo of he decal.....will this become the new paint testing of this decade???? I can imagine a situation where dealers and sellers will have to provide such images, as "proof of authenticity", in the future
    I doubt it, most % of dealers and collectors are clueless to it, Ken B and Dave S are using it, for most its just another tool to use and GHW has a ton of data on its usage. Ill post some fakes and real ones in a different thread when time permits and you'll see what I mean. Again, if you dont know what to look for it doesnt matter what is your looking at, even a good photo of a decal. If you dont know your decals the tool is useless to begin with.

Quote by DougB View Post
    I doubt it, most % of dealers and collectors are clueless to it, Ken B and Dave S are using it, for most its just another tool to use and GHW has a ton of data on its usage. Ill post some fakes and real ones in a different thread when time permits and you'll see what I mean. Again, if you dont know what to look for it doesnt matter what is your looking at, even a good photo of a decal. If you dont know your decals the tool is useless to begin with.
    Look foward to that thread Doug, thanks for your input on this matter.

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

Quote by DougB View Post
    I pioneered the use of USB microscopes several years ago, buying a 400x power Celestron in 2008. Here are some SS Pocher fakes I have uncovered since.

Board Message

Board Message

Here is more background

Board Message

Caution must be observed however, the knowledge doesnt come with the box, it took me 3 years and the examination of over 100 SS helmets of the various decal patterns to get a feel for what to look for as well as the examination of many many fakes.

The caveat is, real ones have certain fingerprints under high levels of magnification, as do fakes. Without the requisite foundation to work from however you cannot tell the difference between the two so use and post with caution.

That said, I do not believe they can fake decals to the 200x level.
    Cheers Doug

I just read through your excellent study on GHW Thanks

Quote by DougB View Post
    Your decal Reneblacky shows the scrubbed nature of the decal as you can see much of the pulver missing and the cellulose base exposed. Some rusting also occuring as a result. I will try to post up some photos of USB of various decals, its pretty cool.
    Looking forward Mate

Quote by Sonder287 View Post
    Rene, thats awesome!

I highly recommend you make your pics much bigger than that. Go to your upper left hand screen and click on "options", "preview size" then click on the desired size such as 1200X980.

Doug, you stand correct and this is why I bought a lot of "beater" SS helmets if you recall. I want to study and compare the construction of the shield, pulvar, sharpness of the runes, construction etc. I would like to study their unique characteristics and compare them as there are different makes of SS decals. This is no easy task and will take a long time to nail it, but will be rewarding.

Like to thank you, Doug, for introducing this ingenious idea into the hobby!

kindest regards
    Samir
    Cheers Samir
    I must have inferior software as I can only take shots at 800x600 but it will go higher but I can only take screen shots and not shots via the aplication.

?

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    Cheers Samir
    I must have inferior software as I can only take shots at 800x600 but it will go higher but I can only take screen shots and not shots via the aplication.
    Hi Rene,

Not sure how the other manufactures work, but with the Veho's software, it allows you to blow the pic up without the image getting "pixelated".

Quote by AMTG View Post
    Tasmanian SS troops?????
    Ya,vot do you vont

Helmet M40 Double Decal SS

Two heads twice the intellect matey.Don't ever forget.

G'day All
    Thought to show comparisons to two Army decals one M42 & one is a Army reissue M40 +the ss one
    Last edited by reneblacky; 01-25-2012 at 09:34 AM. Reason: added text

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast