Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help Is this Real

Article about: Hello everyone, I am very new to the buying end of collecting. My small collection consists of gifts given to me. But now that I am out of college and have time to learn about the hobby, I w

Default Is this Real? Help

Hello everyone,

I am very new to the buying end of collecting. My small collection consists of gifts given to me. But now that I am out of college and have time to learn about the hobby, I want to continue collecting on my own. I want to start with something simple and relatively inexpensive since student loans are priority and I found a helmet dug from the ground. I don't mind the quality, because perhaps it has quite a story. What I don't know is whether the SS decal is fake or not. I have done a fair deal of reading on how to spot fakes, but its so much to absorb all it once that I feel I could easily overlook something. Any opinions on the matter are greatly appreciated! Thanks for your time!

All the best,

AaronHelp Is this RealHelp Is this RealHelp Is this RealHelp Is this RealHelp Is this RealHelp Is this RealHelp Is this Real
    Last edited by GERManAaronNYC; 01-25-2020 at 04:15 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help Is this Real
    P
    Many

?

Looks good to me.

Wally

Have a search here in the forum for Stalingrad Front - you can then form an opinion on whether you want to purchase from them.
    Nick

Images are poor quality for a dealer. I can not comment on the decal but would want better images of painted areas. Some areas appear to be paint-over-pitting, particularly on the underside.

Ask him for better pictures and if he can provide pics of the dig.
    Stalingradfront has provided them before, if asked for it.

MAP
    ?

Aaron,

As I mentioned over at German Helmet Vault. It would be wise to tread very carefully with SF. As Nick has said, use our search function for this dealer and form your own views.

If you want a relic best to buy a plain jane No Decal example as it is very easy to add decals to relics and it is near impossible to validate originality.

Also, it's always good to go to local shows and get a hands on feel. There is a small local show coming in Freeport Long Island. Might be worth it to go and see what is for sale.

I will be there on Saturday. Some of the better dealers will be down at the big SOS show however

Long Island Antique Historical Arms Society, Inc.

Antique Arms show at the Freeport Recreation Center

130 E. Merrick Rd. Freeport, NY 11520

Feb 22/23

Show Hours: Saturday 9 AM to 4 PM

Sunday 9AM to 2 PM
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by Adravor View Post
    Ask him for better pictures and if he can provide pics of the dig.
    Stalingradfront has provided them before, if asked for it.
    The problem here is he can provide a picture of 'any' dig. All he needs to show is a dirty helmet being pulled out of the ground. Then make a story about 'Found near Rostov on Don' etc... Better pictures of the helmet i agree with, but pictures of the dig or the story are irrelevant IMHO.
    nick

TWS
    ?

I have no dealings with Stalingrad Front and cannot comment good or bad about them. However, the only ground dug relics I have from Stalingrad are those that I brought back from a trip to Volgograd myself. To me, that's nearly the only way I can be 100% confident they actually are from the Stalingrad campaign.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."