Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

The Holiest of GrailSS have arrived.

Article about: I dont know if you remember about 6 weeks or so I started a thread asking "What is your next purchase?" in the helmet section. For my answer I had identified 2 SS helmets, ones tha

Default Re: The Holiest of GrailSS have arrived.

Quote by DougB View Post
    Thanks gentlemen and FB, to that point I do know that it has been in a long time collection for over 40 years and the past 2 years it was residing in Kelly Hicks personal collection. To my knowledge the helmet has only been with these two collectors. The acquisition by its original owner I believe has been lost over the years but when I do a proper write up on the piece with photos that do it justice I hope to have more information FB. Thank you for the compliment, this in hand is beyond the pale.

Doug

You can be very proud, as I recall that this was Darryl Pajot's great dream. I imagine the helmet came as did so much of my own junk from the Bavarian areas captured by the U.S. Where were the garrisons of SSPB 1 or SSVT 1 in 1934? In any case, well done. Thank you for showing it all to us.

SS Politische Bereitschaft, SS Verfuegungstruppe for those who only want to have English words hereabouts.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement The Holiest of GrailSS have arrived.
    P
    Many

?

Good looking helmets. Congrats with your new treasures.

?

I know very little about helmets Doug and much less on the finer points of them but I can recognise a pair of supremely rare lids so accept my congratulations on being their new keeper and for finding an excuse to crack open a case of Deutsche Bier!

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Even curiouser Doug...

Do you know what the liner date is on the EF? Assuming from the decals it is from the first half of '40, it strikes me as odd that EF had their own pattern of runes ready to go, without any apparent SS contracts to fill for another 2 or 3 years?

?

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    You can be very proud, as I recall that this was Darryl Pajot's great dream. I imagine the helmet came as did so much of my own junk from the Bavarian areas captured by the U.S. Where were the garrisons of SSPB 1 or SSVT 1 in 1934? In any case, well done. Thank you for showing it all to us.

SS Politische Bereitschaft, SS Verfuegungstruppe for those who only want to have English words hereabouts.
    Thank you and yes, Darryl and I have conversed on many an occasion about these helmets and the one featured in Kelly's book owned formerly by myself and back with Mr. Hoffman today. There is no doubt that you are correct FB, and this is unquestionably from the rank and file of the SS Politische Bereitschaft. I would have to consult my books on the matter of their garrison in 34, however it was in the area you describe if I am not mistaken.

whens the divorce doug.ha ha.

?

Quote by KradSpam View Post
    Even curiouser Doug...

Do you know what the liner date is on the EF? Assuming from the decals it is from the first half of '40, it strikes me as odd that EF had their own pattern of runes ready to go, without any apparent SS contracts to fill for another 2 or 3 years?
    Not sure Andy, it is unreadable. The chinstrap was dated from 1941. It may or may not be original to the helmet. As far as the SS contracts go, they could be small contracts as were the same filled by NS or SE. These were done in very small batches hence so few exist today. ET decals on EF helmets in 42 and apparently an EF M40 (or more) exist speak to the fact that EF did not produce a consistent supply of their own decals and contracted out for them as needed.

It is noted that EF was somewhat of a rogue as far as what appears to be adherence to the decal orders of the day. I have owned 2 EF M42 helmets with 1944 dated liner bands and they were matching lot numbers. I know of another several lot numbers nearby as well in an EF M42 with a 44 dated linerband. November 43 was the final month for decaled SS helmets. So did EF churn out a small run of helmets in say, 1941 just prior to the M42 coming onstream and this was one of them? Its light use indicates it was a shelf queen and did not see combat.

The fact that this is so unique speaks to the evolution of the SS helmet within the ranks of the EF manufacturing world.

The big question is, which one are you donating for the raffle? Lol

Great stuff Doug, they look terrific, no wonder you're pleased.

Mollo suggest that the HQ of III Sturmbann of the SSPB 1 and later SSVT 1, i.e. "Deutschland" was M u e n c h e n.
    Of course, I imagine said helmet migrated with its owner from here to there in the years 1934-1945.
    In any case, we are glad it came to you and you share it here.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast