Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

How to tell if original decal on Relic helmets?

Article about: Whats a good way to spot a fake decal on relic helmets? I'd figured it would'nt be to hard to slap a SS decal on a relic to up the price.

Default Re: How to tell if original decal on Relic helmets?

Good idea Lars, re the photos of relic decals. I have 5 relic lids with decals, maybe we should start a database of images which might help detect fake relic decals from original?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement How to tell if original decal on Relic helmets?
    P
    Many

?

The problem with identifying decals on relics is that each one is in a various and sometimes advanced state of decomposition meaning there is a huge variety of wear challenges to overcome. Personally I wouldn't have a relic because of this, unless I dug it myself and would love to do that one day. That said, some of the things to look for are cleaning around the circumference of the decal, adhesion problems with the decal, decal applied over pitting, and of course all the normal rules of SS decals apply, so you really add a great deal of difficulty to the entire exercise.

Exactly right Doug. Personally I have trouble with detecting decals installed over corrosion as compared to decals fitted over factory refurbed helmets. The easier things to watch out for like the halo around the decal as you say aren't too difficult but from my perspective as an amatuer the variations in bubbling, fading and general decal removal via nature as compared to human intervention are the trouble spots.

I wouldn't mind betting that a database of genuine relic decals would provide a constant from which to ascertain correlations or divergences from 'the norm' with which to help detect these evil fakers.

Thanks for all the good information everybody! It definently helps.

?

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    Exactly right Doug. Personally I have trouble with detecting decals installed over corrosion as compared to decals fitted over factory refurbed helmets. The easier things to watch out for like the halo around the decal as you say aren't too difficult but from my perspective as an amatuer the variations in bubbling, fading and general decal removal via nature as compared to human intervention are the trouble spots.

I wouldn't mind betting that a database of genuine relic decals would provide a constant from which to ascertain correlations or divergences from 'the norm' with which to help detect these evil fakers.
    Looking at a lot of good relic decals is the best way to spot the bad one, of course combined with knowledge of decals. I see myself as a novice in decals, but as i said i am quite ok spotting post war applied decals on relic helmets. I would be happy to assist with such a data base/sub forum.

Regards, Lars

I had a heer helmet rusted up with a semi decent decal remaining. Sold now but I will see if I have any pictures left, might be useful if you guys start a database.

If I get some time this weekend I'll edit some shots of my relic lid decals and start a thread. Maybe I should post a photo of the whole lid and then just the decal to compare overall wear compared to just the decal?

I think the whole helmet and the decal would be best. At least then people can see decal condition as well as the over helmet condition that matches the decal. Will help to put it into context.

Jason

I have had a peach of decal on a rusted half of a shell it can be seen here scroll down until you see the M42 heer German Headgear
    wayne

?

Good looking decal

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast