Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

I inherited a NS62 German Helmet - Can anyone tell me what I have?

Article about: My dad was in the war and all I remember him telling me is that he took this helmet off a fallen soldier and hand carried it back. On the inside leather liner he inscribed (in pencil) "

MAP
    ?

Tim,

Glad the forum members could help. (They are the best there is IMHO).

For me it was a joy just to look at the helmet you have!

Regards,

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement I inherited a NS62 German Helmet - Can anyone tell me what I have?
    P
    Many

Quote by Tim4444 View Post
    Wow! What an amazing group of people here! There is no doubt that the last few days are another lovely chapter in the helmet's history. The outpouring of expertise and heart is greatly appreciated, as is the solid advise. I grew up with this helmet. Thought it was so cool. Shared it with my Dad. Now that he is gone I know that I do not want to keep it. I have no one to pass the helmet on to. No one to cherish its story and value. It seems to me that sometimes when you love something it is best to let it go for the betterment of it. In this case, it is best that it belong to someone who will cherish it for both its place in the history of the world and its story with my family. I believe that it will have another life of admiration and appreciation, long after my (and my father's) memory of it has passed. It is a gift that I stumbled upon you all... Thanks!
    Fair enough, you can't say fairer than that! I hope you get a "top end" price for it as it's a helmet that deserves it. Leon.

?

Thank you for the kind words......but I still don't get it. You don't have any brothers or sisters or aunts or uncles or kids or any familial relations whatsoever?

You grew up with it with your dad, cherished it and now are selling it?

Can't understand how you can do that. Money is fleeting. Memories are forever. I don't get it.

The cynical side of me says that while the helmet is real the story is bullshit, and this is just a seller of a helmet using a forum for the purposes of jacking a story to increase interest and bidding on the helmet in order to fetch the highest possible price. But that's the cynical side of me.

It wouldn't have been the first this it has happened here, and wouldn't be the last. I hope my cynical side deserves a beat down for saying that, but sometimes that side of me is right.

Now to go find my prescription meds for multiple personality disorder. Anyone got a glass of water?

A glass of water? I figured you for something stronger than that. Than again meds and grandpas old cough syrup don't exactly mix, but that's usually only if you're operating heavy machinery or cars.

?

And dont start to "fix" it, "Polish" it- or any other ideas that maybe will come into your head.

Leave this timecapsule as it is Please.

While it may seem anathema to us collectors to dispose of a 'family treasure' such as this, to many folk pop's golf trophy from 1955 may be more worth keeping than an "old helmet".

H'mm, where can I find out what its worth? Hey, here's an online military collector's forum.
    Lets see what they have to say ..... HOW much?? .... hey kids- we're going to Disneyland!!!
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

Quote by Danmark View Post
    While it may seem anathema to us collectors to dispose of a 'family treasure' such as this, to many folk pop's golf trophy from 1955 may be more worth keeping than an "old helmet".

H'mm, where can I find out what its worth? Hey, here's an online military collector's forum.
    Lets see what they have to say ..... HOW much?? .... hey kids- we're going to Disneyland!!!

And that is his right to do, it is he who owns it. I do not judge. But I do not understand either.

?

Quote by helmetone View Post
    A glass of water? I figured you for something stronger than that. Than again meds and grandpas old cough syrup don't exactly mix, but that's usually only if you're operating heavy machinery or cars.
    I have a hectic work schedule Todd, but tomorrow at 4 PM sharp a new bottle of spiced rum gets opened with a friend, and goodness knows what happens after that. I just know I take no responsibility for my actions after the 5th drink...

Quote by DougB View Post
    I have a hectic work schedule Todd, but tomorrow at 4 PM sharp a new bottle of spiced rum gets opened with a friend, and goodness knows what happens after that. I just know I take no responsibility for my actions after the 5th drink...
    I'm not sure exactly where I'll be at 4pm tomorrow, but I can assure you I will not be as inebriated and happy as you will be I'll probably be somewhere dealing with someone, who is probably a waste of space, and whom I will probably wish I could hit over the head with your empty bottle.

MAP
    ?

Quote by DougB View Post
    Hmmm...a bottle of Kraken perhaps? One of my favorites on a cool night.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast