Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Interesting potential SS M40 trade...

Article about: Hi guys, I have come across a fellow who is taking offers on this helmet. He apparently picked it up from an elderly German couple while he was stationed in Dresden. It is a single decal SS

Default Interesting potential SS M40 trade...

Hi guys,

I have come across a fellow who is taking offers on this helmet. He apparently picked it up from an elderly German couple while he was stationed in Dresden. It is a single decal SS M40- an ET66, and lot number 707. According to the lot number database it fits right in. There obviously isn't very much of the decal left to go by, but do any of you SS experts think that this decal has been worn down the way an ET should? My opinion is that the whole thing looks good so far, with the exception of a removed and then replaced original liner.

While I await much better photos (due on Wednesday), I just want to generate some discussion on this. I would like some advice. The owner is interested in trading the helmet for my waffenrock. The tunic is missing its lining, and it came to me stripped, but with its original insignia. I have resewn the insignia back on the waffenrock with original feldgrau thread. I would also throw in the em/nco parade belt and buckle it came with. You can view the tunic here: https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/heer-...-tunic-145098/

Despite the sorry state of the helmet, my waffenrock really isn't any more of a spectacular piece. It seems like a fair trade to me. What do you folks think? If this turns out to be a good helmet, should I pull the trigger, or should I wait for something better? Am I just giddy over a junk helmet?

Much better photos are coming soon. I just wanted to get this thread started.

Thanks,
    Mo
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Interesting potential SS M40 trade...   Interesting potential SS M40 trade...  

Interesting potential SS M40 trade...  
    Attached Images Attached Images Interesting potential SS M40 trade... 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Interesting potential SS M40 trade...
    P
    Many

Default Re: Interesting potential SS M40 trade...

I haven't studied SS decals but even if it were authentic, I would hang onto the tunic/belt etc. I think that even without its lining, the tunic would probably add more to your collection/display than a helmet with a tiny portion of decal and what looks to be heavy pitting on the outside.

Just my thoughts and I'm sure there are many collectors who would rather the helmet..

Good luck with whatever decision you make, Mo!

Josh

Hey Mo
    you know to be sharp yes?

Thanks guys, just looking for advice from fellow collectors.

The whole display potential is a factor, for sure.

?

The M40 looks promising

Regards, Lars

You'll forever be wondering with only that much decal left, Mo ...... like the remnant of a name in a helmet that you just can't read, it will haunt your days & nights! ......I'd keep the 'rock.
    Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

there is not much of a decal or the liner is not in a very good state but if its a ss helmet theres not much to show that it is. the tunic you now what it is. i would wait but thats me.

Hi Mo,i know it is a tough thing to get hold of a original SS without spending big bucks but I would pass on this one and keep your rock.What little decal is remaining gives me no clue as to originality.All I can see is that the helmet has been poorly stored and is in a heavily pitted condition,with a messed with liner.At least with your rock,you know for sure what it is even if it has been played around with,whats left of this helmet could be SS but just because the lot number fits doesn't mean that decal is original. Leon.

?

Mo, steer clear of this one. I'm not fond of the finish, nor the decal. I have seen this one some time ago on the net, not sure where.

?

So little left its hard to say but it fits within ET lotnr parameters. Really getting past the stage of a collectible SS with limited resale value.