Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Jumped in feet first honest opinions please

Article about: Hello everyone ive always had a fascination with ww2 german helmets, and saw this one on ebay, and like a fool who rushes in bought it, upon helmet arriving I inspected it, I have been readi

Dunno who did the camo paint, but they used what looks like a hobby model air gun to do it and they painted literally Everything-decal,wires,liner-the works. Wow...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Jumped in feet first honest opinions please
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

I have a draw full of medals that are fakes. I learned my lesson, found this forum, listened, learned, made friends who provide great advice...but never gave up. It took me many years to finally buy an SS lid and even then I made sure I did my homework.

So don't give up. Use this as that lesson. Listen, study, read, read, read and post on a forum first. Don't worry about "missing out" on that have to have helmet and rush into buying it. There are 1,000's more out there.

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Wire camo SS helmets are the -last- thing a novice helmet collector should be buying. Like Todd says, invest in some good books, scout the forum and the GHW2 helmet forum, and you'll be fine. You stubbed a toe. You could be the guy who emailed me pics of his SS helmet collection a while back. He was buying from his local "source". He was DOA....

Read my pinned thread on Advice for those wanting to buy an SS helmet, and apply train of thought that to any helmet and you'll be just fine. It's an enjoyable hobby, just don't go swimming in waters you don't know and always wear a life jacket till your confident you can swim without it.

eBay is like swimming in a slough where raw sewage spills in btw, best to avoid it.

Quote by DougB View Post
    Wire camo SS helmets are the -last- thing a novice helmet collector should be buying. Like Todd says, invest in some good books, scout the forum and the GHW2 helmet forum, and you'll be fine. You stubbed a toe. You could be the guy who emailed me pics of his SS helmet collection a while back. He was buying from his local "source". He was DOA....

Read my pinned thread on Advice for those wanting to buy an SS helmet, and apply train of thought that to any helmet and you'll be just fine. It's an enjoyable hobby, just don't go swimming in waters you don't know and always wear a life jacket till your confident you can swim without it.

eBay is like swimming in a slough where raw sewage spills in btw, best to avoid it.
    Damn good wording Doug!

tomo46, I got burnt pretty badly. I had over $2000 in phony helmets. Lucky for me to find the forum! I got all the money back! I bought a good amount of books and that has really seemed to help me. I was put off at first about getting fooled, but I guess it could happen to any one. Morale Of the story don't get put off from collecting!

Depending on what the listing on eBay actually said, there might be a chance for you to get your money back. If the description of the helmet implied that it was genuine, then you would have a case of a fraudulent transaction against the seller - and it would be worth taking it up with eBay. Even if it got you nowhere, you would have at least gone down fighting.

You could also contact the seller and advise him of your intention to place the offending helmet back on eBay with something along the lines of... "reproduction helmet purchased by me from (sellers ID) who described it as genuine." There's no guarantee it would work, but it is worth a try.

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    Depending on what the listing on eBay actually said, there might be a chance for you to get your money back. If the description of the helmet implied that it was genuine, then you would have a case of a fraudulent transaction against the seller - and it would be worth taking it up with eBay. Even if it got you nowhere, you would have at least gone down fighting.

You could also contact the seller and advise him of your intention to place the offending helmet back on eBay with something along the lines of... "reproduction helmet purchased by me from (sellers ID) who described it as genuine." There's no guarantee it would work, but it is worth a try.
    Good advice Steve!...

tomo46, did the helmet ship with traking? If so did it show delivered?

?

If you can claim to never have been burned in this hobby I have a patch of real estate in the northern Canadian muskeg to sell you. It's part of the learning curve, part of the process. It makes a collector more wary, more diligent, and more cautious. In other words it makes for better collectors. When we have better collectors we can weed the fakes and frauds out that much easier and take on those who would line their pockets at our expense. Step 1- put analytical thought in front of solving emotional wants and needs. Fakers prey on our emotional cravings. Disarming them means knowing your craft. Hence forums such as this are a great place to widen your knowledge base and have a built in team of like minded friends willing to assist with an analytic viewpoint for the mere price of a Thank You.

?

Hello I would like to thank everyone for the kind remarks made, and the fact yes I was bitten but not put off, I have learned my lesson and thankfully it was only £200, I doubt very much ebay would refund me, so im not going to waste my time, because the wording never actually implied it was genuine, but stated it is a ww2 normandy camo helmet with elite forces insignia with wire around helmet, and in fairness to the seller it is all of that, but crap as well. I have had dealings with ebay before, and know the seller worded it cautiously so much so there will be no comeback on them, ill put helmet on display in my cabinet because 2 of my friends came round and saw it and thought it was genuine, (I NEVER TOLD THEM THE TRUTH) because like I did they took it at face value, and also they are unaware that some scrupulous people are forging these and selling them as genuine. Once again thank you all for the advice.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast