MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

LAH SS Helmet

Article about: Hello Cloth and Helmet Experts Here is picture with Black Soldiers and I think that they have decals from right side with revers colors, SS runes are white or silver. Have got any info for t

Default LAH SS Helmet

Hello Cloth and Helmet Experts

Here is picture with Black Soldiers and I think that they have decals from right side with revers colors, SS runes are white or silver. Have got any info for this with closeap pictures etc.

Thanks

any info from Friedrich-Berthold:

This is the early variant of the LAH escutcheon, in use ca. 1934.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement LAH SS Helmet
    P
    Many

Default Re: LAH SS Helmet

I think you need the relevant SS helmet books, be they from Bender or Schiffer. If you are in Czechia, I am not sure how easily you can get them. My book dealer in Berlin has them, though. Therein is your answer, but I am not sure how many contemporary images they contain. I am not aware of one of these helmets in a present day collection.

HelmChick
    ?

Friedrich--
    What are some of the helmet books you would recommend?

Quote by HelmChick View Post
    Friedrich--
    What are some of the helmet books you would recommend?
    I own neither of these works I have in mind, but look at the on line lists from Bender and also from Schiffer. The others here will give you the citations. I think the book from Bender is by K. Hicks. And I cannot recall the author of the work from Schiffer. I am not a helmet collector. As you know, there is a whole galaxy of these people with their special rites and rituals.

Happy collecting.

The images of the early LAH runes are in Mollo, Uniforms of the SS, Vol. 3. But this is an old work and may not be accessible to all. Surely these recent works above contain lots of authentic examples and the most recent writing on the subject. The other author known to me is Ludwig Baer, a German, whose work is available in English and German, I think.

I would highly recommend:

History of the German Steel Helmet by Ludwig Baer. (Almost the "bible" on the subject)

SS Steel by Kelly Hicks.

Cheers, Ade.

Thank you, dear colleague, I had thought these were the relevant titles. There is also the works with Schiffer, too. Did Hick do both? I do not own any of them, I am ashamed to say.

The twin volume work by Radovic, published by Schiffer I also have. They have large colour photos and are "coffee table" books. They are worth buying, but the waters are muddied somewhat by the inclusion of a fair number of fakes within them. (I fully realise no book is perfect, having been involved with several myself on British Airborne, then being dismayed to find items within them which were bad.)

The Baer book is the one to buy.

Cheers, Ade.