Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

M/42 single decal SS W/CHICKEN WIRE

Article about: Congratulations Jim. A VERY desirable authentic helmet. And worth a few \\$ too. It's a beauty. I would say Doug likes it too

Default M/42 single decal SS W/CHICKEN WIRE

M/42 single decal SS W/CHICKEN WIREM/42 single decal SS W/CHICKEN WIREgot it from my uncle in 1969 rear skirt is stamped 3115 it dosent look like it was ever painted but take a look ....M/42 single decal SS W/CHICKEN WIRE

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M/42 single decal SS W/CHICKEN WIRE
    P
    Many

Default Re: M/42 single decal SS W/CHICKEN WIRE

The rust on the chicken wire looks kind of...'fresh'.

?

Ive been looking hard at this one and there are a couple of things which to me, and its only my opinion, begin to throw up some red flags, 1, the liner pin seems to be in a fresher condition to the helmet, it should have at least the same patination as its supposed to have been exposed to the same conditions as the helmet, 2, the whole helmet appears to be in a semi relic condition ie rusting quite heavily in places, the interior dome has what i call pitting craters and they appear quite deep yet there seems to be no disturbance of the interior paint, the liner appears period and the chicken wire is wedged between the liner ring and helmet, but as Glenn says i would expect to see a great deal more corrosion to the wire which would be in accordance with the helmets condition, it has been on there for quite some time but i doubt if its original to wartime period, the decal i will leave to others more experienced but for me im not 100% certain on this one, if im wrong then you have a very nice and rare helmet, i no doubt there will be other comments following

Blimey! I am no way au fait with helmets, but initially this looked good to me. But when Dave pointed out the interior pitting i have now some doubt about it. It's amazing how, to the untrained eye, how convincing these things can appear. The outside appearance appeared good to me, nice decal, correct european stylee chickenwire plus good chin strap/liner et al.

It just goes to show, don't it? Plus it's been in Jim's posession i assume untouched for over 40 years so that also gives it some considerable age if it has been messed with. I would have been fooled if asked yay or nay, it's just a minefield out there!!

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

if you look at the shield decal straight on,the sides go inward from the top-narrowing down as you get to the bottom,,dont think this is an original decal,,,,

The decal is incorrect graphically and the chicken wire looks like it has been recently applied. Not an original helmet in my opinion...

Is the helmet an EF helmet , can you also post a close-up of the lot number 3115 ?

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    The decal is incorrect graphically and the chicken wire looks like it has been recently applied. Not an original helmet in my opinion...
    More recently than 40 years ago? Hmmm...

Regards, Ned.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Hi guys. I believe the wire is wrong on this one too! The twist on the wire changes direction half way along each twist. This is a sign that the wire is not European. I would suggest it was added later.
    Just my opinion
    Andy

Quote by BLONDI View Post
    Hi guys. I believe the wire is wrong on this one too! The twist on the wire changes direction half way along each twist. This is a sign that the wire is not European. I would suggest it was added later.
    Just my opinion
    Andy
    Blondi,

I think your wrong there mate, it is european, check this out. German-Helmets.com

I'm still unsure of the helmet, but as Schwerpunkt said, i thought EF decal too, but as i said before, i'm not up with helmets at all really, just what i've learned here!

Regards, Ned.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast