MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

m18 ET66 looking for opinions

Article about: Excellent info again guys. I will leave this one as is. I appreciate it's convoluted history for what it is- the helmet's true history. I have several of these shells- bare steel, original (

?

Default m18 ET66 looking for opinions

Hello everyone,

This is another one of my acquisitions. I only found out about the liner stampings after I got this one home. It looks like a transitional m18 to me but I am no expert by any account. Paint was removed earlier to look for decals, which were missing, but the residue had remained.

Thanks for any input!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture m18 ET66 looking for opinions   m18 ET66 looking for opinions  

m18 ET66 looking for opinions   m18 ET66 looking for opinions  

m18 ET66 looking for opinions  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement m18 ET66 looking for opinions
    P
    Many

Default Re: m18 ET66 looking for opinions

Maybe I'm crazy, but that national eagle on the liner and the serial number on the dome are not suppose to be there???!!?? I think this is an M17 btw. Are there any other markings on the skirt?

Looks like a 'messed with' helmet, sorry to say. The eagle stamp in the liner
    is bogus, and the one-time decal is a round bottom fake, IMO.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by Sir Payne View Post
    Maybe I'm crazy, but that national eagle on the liner and the serial number on the dome are not suppose to be there???!!?? I think this is an M17 btw. Are there any other markings on the skirt?
    The batch number in the dome area is legit. It does look to be an M17. The inside looks to have original paint, but the outside doesn't appear to, but an outside pic in natural light would help. As Steve said, a repro decal was applied and was removed at somepoint down to the steel. And, yes, stamps like the one on the reverse of the finger is bogus. They never used those stamps. They are common repro stamps used to "sex up" helmets.

?

Bad stamp, shell and lot number in the dome are A Ok.

Looks like a Transitionial M16? I dislike it though, doesnt look original.

Cheers, Evan

?

Agree that it is a messed with M17 sadly.

Brad.

Hi looks to be a messed with M16 to me none the chin strap fiting points on the shell as found on M16 helmets,on the M17 the chin strap is fitted to the liner

I have the same stamp in the liner of my SA helmet. I posted it a while ago (in DECEMBER 2011). Bob Coleman told us that the stamp was used by a collector/dealer in Chicago, Jack Baumgartner, in the '50's through the '70's, to identify his helmets for some reason. The shell/liner configuration is fine. With the metal banded liner sans chin strap bales in a classic M16 shell it is known as an M17. The paint on the interior of the shell appears to be the original WWI factory paint. Whether the exterior over-paint is period or not I can't say. Obviously, someone was either "digging" for decals, or removed repros that had been put on. Anyway, the Adler stamp is from no earlier than the '50's, and was put on by a US dealer. Jim G.

Quote by helmet2id View Post
    I have the same stamp in the liner of my SA helmet. I posted it a while ago (in DECEMBER 2011). Bob Coleman told us that the stamp was used by a collector/dealer in Chicago, Jack Baumgartner, in the '50's through the '70's, to identify his helmets for some reason. The shell/liner configuration is fine. With the metal banded liner sans chin strap bales in a classic M16 shell it is known as an M17. The paint on the interior of the shell appears to be the original WWI factory paint. Whether the exterior over-paint is period or not I can't say. Obviously, someone was either "digging" for decals, or removed repros that had been put on. Anyway, the Adler stamp is from no earlier than the '50's, and was put on by a US dealer. Jim G.
    Interesting info Jim.
    Too bad there is no more militaria dealers in Chicago
    Bad for me.
    chris

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast