Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

M1916 with Hand-Painted SS insignia - Fake or What?

Article about: Hello there, folks. I'm in the rare position of hoping that a recent purchase is not authentic. I recently picked up this M1916 from a local dealer for a comparative song. He advertised the

Default M1916 with Hand-Painted SS insignia - Fake or What?

Hello there, folks. I'm in the rare position of hoping that a recent purchase is not authentic. I recently picked up this M1916 from a local dealer for a comparative song. He advertised the painted SS insignia as being fake, hence the markdown, and I jumped on it with the intention of replacing my relic-condition '16 after taking off the fake runes 'n' swas. Now that I have it in hand, I wanted to run it by you fine people to make absolutely sure these insignia are not original, and that I wouldn't be degrading he helmet by removing them. Googling around, I've seen exactly one purportedly authentic Austrian transitional helmet used by the SS-VT with hand-painted insignia in this style for comparison, with no evidence that otherwise unaltered M1916's were given the same treatment. More than anything, the black finish gives me pause enough to seek another few opinions. I'm not an SS collector by any means, but it seems like authentic examples of helmets so marked are quite rare. If this against all odds appears to be authentic, I'll probably just try to sell it on and buy a camouflage-painted M1916 or similar.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M1916 with Hand-Painted SS insignia - Fake or What?
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Trying to mimic the early SS VT decals.

But would need to see it under a micro scope. Even then, it would be hard to prove either way in my opinion

Way beyond my pay grade. But my gut say to stay away.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

With painted decals you always have to take a leap of faith , painted when is always the question.

Your paint from the runes looks very old and brittle. I also have a hand painted M16 model helmet. The side of it {right} has the German Cross and left side the black swastica! Mine is hard to see from the coats of paint and wear and tear. My avitar shows the german cross on it. WB

Hi, What would you sell it for? should you want to get rid of it? WB

The paint does look old but I would always concede to the experts on whether or not it might have a chance. Closer inspection is needed I think. If the price was good I think you did OK.

Handpainted insignia can be aged in a way or another... but i am more concerned by seeing that liner that isn't an original M16, and even if it would have been a good one is hard to believe that the SS VT wouldn't have refurbished it inside.