Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

M35 ID Batch code

Article about: Need a little help on this one. I picked this one up from a local dealer. A real strait up guy. I bought a fair amount of German items off of him and picked this one up for the liner. Upon c

Default M35 ID Batch code

Need a little help on this one. I picked this one up from a local dealer. A real strait up guy. I bought a fair amount of German items off of him and picked this one up for the liner. Upon closer inspection I started to become intrigued. It's a Q66 with batch code 3030. Since it was a Q66 I decided it may be a keeper. Someone monkeyed it up (or better yet Aped it up) by. Painting the inside of the skirt red. Then subsequently dripping it on the bands and a bit on the liner. I researched the soldiers name and came up with a possible match Werner Irrgang. SS Panzer loader attached to the Tiger unit commanded by Whitmann who was one of the German Aces of WWII. The helmet is in pitiful condition considering where it may have been. Can anyone relate the best way to remove the rest of the red paint without damaging the integrity of the original. The outM35 ID Batch codeM35 ID Batch codeM35 ID Batch codeM35 ID Batch codeside is nicely covered with wartime textured camo. Can the batch code be researched to identify which branch of the service this helmet was issued to. I have attached some photos for your consideration.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M35 ID Batch code
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

I checked the lot # database over at GHW but Q M35 lot #3030 is not listed. But maybe Brian Ice's lot # book has something.

As far as the paint.....will let others opine. At least it is on the inside and not the exterior.

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Michael, Thanks for. Your help. Maybe we can find out just where this pot has been. Obtw, love the base line quote. I read it to my wife. She laughed... Little does she know, it's just an prelude to the eventual talk we will have to have 😳

MAP
    ?

Maybe someone has Brians book. It is constantly updated. I think it is up to version 7 or so. 15k plus helmets. It's for sale for $30 at lulu.com

The paint can be removed but it requires patience and knowledge. Too much thinner and helmet is ruined. I know someone who took 10 months to remove paint from one helmet. Turned out amazing. But then I seen some examples that are all bad....There are guys here who can probably help.

As for the quotes. Both are true. The first is not mine but I never (rarely) tell her. The second is straight from her mouth. She's a CPA and a Controller at a Private Equity shop. So nothing gets by her. But in the end, she lets me spend what ever I want as long as the bills and taxes are paid and the retirement and college and vacation accounts are funded. If I have anything left over it is mine to spend....LoL

- - ------- - -

Also, for every shoe or pocket book your wife buys you should be allowed to buy a helmet or two....

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

The dealer/collector I got it from suggested strait water and 00steel wool ?? He said to take it down to the green then stop. Any thoughts on that? Not sure about that strategy. Sounds abrasive, but he is a real been there/done that guy with the best of intentions and a but-load of really cool stuff. Lol.

MAP
    ?

I leave everything untouched. It can be done but as said it takes experience. Hopefully some of the guys here who have done this sees the thread.

That said, while the pics don't show the whole helmet interior it displays well as is and can't be seen so I would leave it as is. But that's just me.

The batch/lotnr cannot for certain reveal the branch as one lotnr can be assigned to different branches.
    At best it is an indicator , the helmet itself will need to give the ultimate clue.

Its not listed in the last version (8) of Brian Ice book.

while the surname 'Irrgang' is not a common one, there are currently 450 instances of it in Germany. One would think that there would have been dozens in the German army in ww2 but even so, I don't see the connection to the 1st SS Panzer Division "Leibstandarte SS Adolf Hitler". This is a HEER helmet with a nice rough field overpaint...... leave it as it is I say.

Regards, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Upon further inspection the left decal (which presumably is Heer) is lifting as you can see in the picture. Obvious post war. Which suggests the outside paint job is well done postwar as well. I took it back to the senior collector I got it from and it seems there are traces under the paint of an Original SS decal over on the proper side. Neither of us caught that as it is faint. His Lady found it...(Gotta love a woman who is into the cool stuff). Anyhow, I am returning the helmet to him as there should always be honor among friends. 😊 OBTW, it seems Mr. Irrgang isn't done with his helmet yet. But, that's a whole different subject for a separate post.