Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

M35 SS DD Stahlhelm

Article about: Following are a series of photos of the M35. Hopefully this will give more clarity to those offering their opinions on the veraciity of the helmet. It may be difficult to see in the photos b

?

Default Re: M35 SS DD Stahlhelm

The annoying thing about this , someone has ruined a perfectly good helmet by trying to make it something that it could never be, if left alone you would have a reasonably desirable , possibly KM helmet, but also it seems you are not fully researching these helmets and by not doing so you leave yourself open to the fakes , a little more reading and knowledge will help you to make better informed judgements on your purchases, forget the stories of provenance look first at the item, and it doesnt matter if its a friend or a "vets bring back" if it doesnt look right, feel right, smell right, the chances are its not right, but experience in handling and seeing proven originals will help you to make better buys, there is no shortcut to knowledge

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M35  SS DD Stahlhelm
    P
    Many

Quote by DougB View Post
    What is the provenance then?
    I also like to know , and who's selling you all these f*cked up fakes ?

What is most disturbing to me is that some schmuck has taken advantage of this guy. We certainly should research our prospective purchases, but I suspect the dealer built up a rapport with him, then reeled him in for the big scores. Hopefully there will be some recourse, but it will likely be difficult. I have been there, a bad SD m40 SS that was very expensive. The sob was across the country, and I had no ability to follow up. I still have the humped up piece of c*%# to remind me to take a deep breath and study the prospective purchase before diving in. I have watched the several threads that he started, expressed my opinions on the first one, the DD camo combat police helmet, and felt really bad for him with each successive one as it was immediately clear to me with each that the helmets were fake. I wish him the best in his efforts to recoup his losses. Good luck. Jim G.

Well thankyou all for your comments, I found it very interesting and somewhat informative although surprised so many think the camo is post war, I am positive it is not. This helmet came direct from a French relative ( one of her uncle's) on my wife's side , I aquired it direct from him in 1977. As for the runes decal okay most say it's a repro, well so be it. I do find it surprising that through the scratches on the runes decal the original color shows through. It looks as if the decal was masked over when the camo was applied, and the party decal was covered as per the regulations in 1943.
    I am not trying to defend the originality or not of this helmet just keen to foster discussion and learn.

?

The fact it came to you in 1977 from your wife's French uncle doesn't make it a real camo my friend. I've been to many a French Normandy museum and fakes abound. The war ended in 1945 not 1977, and there were many fakes around in 1977 including this one. Again it's a Q helmet, and not a Q decal nor a reissue. The camo shows no natural wear and is a perfect example of a non period camo. Fake decal = fake paint as well.
    Anyway believe what you want. It's a fantasy helmet good for reenacting.

Quote by reichss View Post
    Well thankyou all for your comments, I found it very interesting and somewhat informative although surprised so many think the camo is post war, I am positive it is not. This helmet came direct from a French relative ( one of her uncle's) on my wife's side , I aquired it direct from him in 1977. As for the runes decal okay most say it's a repro, well so be it. I do find it surprising that through the scratches on the runes decal the original color shows through. It looks as if the decal was masked over when the camo was applied, and the party decal was covered as per the regulations in 1943.
    I am not trying to defend the originality or not of this helmet just keen to foster discussion and learn.
    Mate if you like it and are Happy to own it that's all that really matters, I bought a dodgy one awhile back and showed it on here only to have my original thoughts realised, someone stooged me! but WTF it still sits on my shelf, and like i said if you enjoy it thats all that really matters

Phill

Hi Doug, appreciate your opinion. The helmet came into the possession of my wife's uncles family, they like her parents are resident in Normandy. Although not remembered exactly when , it was during the war years. The other item I also obtained from him ( an SS field cap ) I will post seperate photos of, but I guess this brings into question whether it is a fake, if the helmet is I guess it's likely. I have a question though, why would fakers apply camo paint and cover up the presumably original party decal?, ( the outline which is just visible under the camo paint ) Maybe these fakers were so super smart they did this deliberately over a fake decal they placed there knowing this would add veracity to the authenticity of the helmet. They took a chance though as they surely could not being certain it would be visible.

We all have been duped at one point but what you do with that experience will either make or brake you as a collector.

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

?

Quote by reichss View Post
    Hi Doug, appreciate your opinion. The helmet came into the possession of my wife's uncles family, they like her parents are resident in Normandy. Although not remembered exactly when , it was during the war years. The other item I also obtained from him ( an SS field cap ) I will post seperate photos of, but I guess this brings into question whether it is a fake, if the helmet is I guess it's likely. I have a question though, why would fakers apply camo paint and cover up the presumably original party decal?, ( the outline which is just visible under the camo paint ) Maybe these fakers were so super smart they did this deliberately over a fake decal they placed there knowing this would add veracity to the authenticity of the helmet. They took a chance though as they surely could not being certain it would be visible.
    What party decal...show me a party decal on a 1943 made Q....anyway you want to believe it's real go ahead, you haven't listened to a thing yet. Enjoy your collection.

Hi Doug, please read my response to your comment on this thread. I am not trying to justify anything about it's originality only to foster discussion and learn. But I do disagree the camo doesn't show wear because it does, maybe the photos don't show this clearly enough.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast