Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

M40 Double Runic SS - ET68 - Lot # 404

Article about: You guys and your double runics... I'd give my left N*% for this. That's why god made two of 'em!

Default Re: M40 Double Runic SS - ET68 - Lot # 404

You guys and your double runics...

I'd give my left N*% for this. That's why god made two of 'em!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M40 Double Runic SS -  ET68 - Lot # 404
    P
    Many

Please excuse my ignorance gents but I noticed that the two decals are different to each other, the decal in the bottom pic is more pointed - a sharper angle half way down the runes, is that a common thing?

Quote by sandgroper View Post
    Please excuse my ignorance gents but I noticed that the two decals are different to each other, the decal in the bottom pic is more pointed - a sharper angle half way down the runes, is that a common thing?
    This is normal practice with double runic helmets. Doug could tell you more about this.

The decal on the right was factory-applied whereas the decal on the left would be a later-applied Pocher. Pocher decals were the variant available for private purchase.

Thanks mate, there is a lot to learn, I appreciate your quick answer.

Thanks mate, there is a lot to learn, I appreciate your quick answer.
    No problem! There are several variants of each type of decal and they will usually correspond to the helmet in question, assuming that it's original. For example, this helmet makes sense in the fact that it is an ET helmet, hence the classic ET pattern shield on the right side and the Pocher addition on the left.

By the way, I just remembered that I have an ET68 M40 with a lot number of 421 that is awaiting restoration. I am now intrigued...

I would love to buy an ss helmet but I need to serve my apprenticeship on this forum learning about these things for a long time yet, they are way too pricey to risk buying before I have at least a reasonable idea of what I'm spending my hard earned on.

4md
    ?

wow! thats a real beauty Jim, thanks for showing......ss helmets are few and far between in my neck of the woods its always great to see one like this

?

Mo has it basically correct, indeed the ET decal is the factory decal applied to the right side of the helmet whereas the "pointier" decal is a field applied CA Pocher decal as should be the case for double runic helmets, the "double" runic decal always is a Pocher.

Great lid, congrats
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

wow.great

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast