Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

M40 q68 ss helmet

Article about: 1897 you need to find a reliable source of information about what you collect. Even with the poor pictures, many knowledgable collectors have already pointed out the numerous problems with t

Default Re: M40 q68 ss helmet

1897 you need to find a reliable source of information about what you collect. Even with the poor pictures, many knowledgable collectors have already pointed out the numerous problems with this piece. The people who sell this type of junk always have a good yarn as to why their fake is genuine. If you want to learn about SS helmets, you have found the best place on the net to do so. The truth of being stung always hurts. A honest, reliable dealer will always take a piece back. After fifteen years, your seller should jump at the chance to buy back his "original SS helmet" for $1300. If he doesn't, you have the answer to the question whether he is reliable or a thief.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M40 q68 ss helmet
    P
    Many

?

Mr DougB;

Sometimes you get disappointed, this is one such occasion. I thought a forum was a place where you could express ideas and thoughts and discuss them with other people in the world. But that is apparently not in this forum. I do not know who you are and you do not know me, but I think it's a dull tone you use in your answers to me.

I have never claimed anything about this helmet, only had a few personal thoughts on it. Most of what I wrote about was information that I received from the person who sold the helmet to me. It is perhaps not surprising that I tell you what this man said about the helmet because he previously had a kind of expert status on the subject German helmets. For example, he has written a book about helmets also mentioned in this forum.

I am grateful for the comments on my helmet, I have long had suspicions that something was not right with the helmet and this was one of the reasons that made me joined this forum. But before I condemn it out completely, I wanted to tell you about what I knew about it, thought about it, or what has been said about it before.

I have all respect for people who are experts or skilled to their things, but I have no respect for those who can not be without being superior and hefty.

Finally, I regret that I had higher hopes for this forum. You will not hear from me again

?

Well put, Bob. That said , I think the decal also has the "crushed glass" look to it.1897, don't feel bad, you are not the first to get burned. Many , if not. All here have messed up and bought things without posting here first ...even experienced collectors get fooled. This IS the best forum on the subject and have the most knowledgable people to help. Sorry you don't see this. Ever heard the saying, " don't kill the messenger"? ..the people here are trying to help you. Not say your decal is fake because they don't like you or because you are new here. They have nothing to gain from it. I suggest you use this as a educational lesson.
    Dean.

1897, at least your suspicions are correct. A tough lesson - sorry.

This lid will never be 'good' on ANY forum, so better that you
    stop defending it, and accept this fact. As suggested, seek
    a refund. I highly doubt the crumb will take it back,
    but it might be worth a try.........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

1897 this is the kind of forum to discuss as a gentleman however your framing of the topic with poor photos and regurgitation of your sellers spoon fed nonsense is not how one reaches out in order to have a proper discussion of the one like you claim to want to have. What you are doing rather is baiting the forum, something I have zero tolerance for. It reads like an argument waiting to happen. I'm sorry but I've moderated a long time on many forums military and non military alike and I really don't have patience for the direction your taking it. Take some responsibility on your shoulders when creating a post and when asking questions/making statements. It's up to you not us do please stop this nonsense.

Even in your last post you prop up your seller as one whose written a book ( but I suppose only his helmets are real as the others were fooled? ) therefore is the expert and then you play the "poor me " card - and yet you still don't have a clear direction behind your comments other than we don't want to play ball so your taking your toys with you and leaving.

Lets do a restart if your serious about your helmet.

1 start by posting your name. Anonymous posters who refuse to use their names and bait get the short shift from me.
    2 post proper photos of your helmet if you are serious about your question of authenticity. You seem to read the forum therefore it's probably not a stretch to assume that in order to get a good evaluation of your helmet that you know people need to see good photos, head on of decals with no flash glare. Not what you ve posted.
    3 ignore what your seller keeps feeding you - it's drivel fed to you to prop himself up and demean others. Your repeating it here I find offensive.

Finally ask a clear question and post any theories you'd like to discuss as a separate thread, not as a thinly veiled attempt to prop up your helmet.

With due respect,
    Doug

1897 i really don't see any evidence of anybody being "superior and hefty", it's really easy to misinterpret answers people give you on forums and take offence.
    In my short time as a member here i've come to regard the guys and girls as a bunch of very friendly and knowledgeable people. Don't be to hasty leaving, this place has a hell of a lot to offer.

The quest for knowledge can go in different directions. The truth is not always the easiest path to follow. Every field of collecting has individuals who have the credentials to be an authority on a subject. We also find authorities who have created their credentials to enrich themselves. The source of 1897's helmet is definitely in the latter category. I would never consider myself an expert on helmets in today's minefield of fakes. However, that said, with my 55+ years of collecting experience, even I can see all of the problems this helmet has. The reason they call a fraudster a con man is that he gains your confidence in order to defraud you. I was there once and it was a very expensive error on my part. By leaving the Forum, 1897 runs from accurate information and places himself in a position to be had again.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Quote by 1897 View Post
    -----
    And of course 1897 deletes his post....glad I quoted it earlier.

Suspicions correct, this person who remains anonymous was here for reasons other than a meaningful discussion. Helmet probably was going to hit the for sale section next after inducing enough credibility bashing and sewing the "could be real" theory together with poor pictures, naturally out of focus and at a ridiculous angle. Now that I have something larger than an iPhone I can confirm the decal is bad, without any question as are components of the helmet.

If your reading this Mr.1897 which I presume you are, take Mr Coleman's advice and offer it back to your seller whose expertise trumps all, for what you paid for it.

I believe you very well knew this was a fake when you posted it, read the posts you did not delete. Please don't bait this section again, assuming Ade is gracious enough to let you stay.

?

Quote by DougB View Post
    And of course 1897 deletes his post....glad I quoted it earlier.

Suspicions correct, this person who remains anonymous was here for reasons other than a meaningful discussion. Helmet probably was going to hit the for sale section next after inducing enough credibility bashing and sewing the "could be real" theory together with poor pictures, naturally out of focus and at a ridiculous angle. Now that I have something larger than an iPhone I can confirm the decal is bad, without any question as are components of the helmet.

I believe you very well knew this was a fake when you posted it, read the posts you did not delete. Please don't bait this section again, assuming Ade is gracious enough to let you stay.
    Doug, I am thinking the same thing as well.

1897, any particular reason why you prefer to remain anonymous?? It's only making suspicions grow.

Earlier I thought you were in denial that you got beat for your money by someone you trusted, but now I'm thinking otherwise.

?

Samir I strongly suspect it's something other, and perhaps more malicious, than someone wishfully thinking his beyond bad SS helmet was real. Here is why I believe it's so;

First, member obviously reads the forums and has remedial knowledge. A slight (but incorrect) grasp of lot numbers, fake decal styles (90's Italian fake) Norwegian liners clearly shows this. He has clearly discussed this decal with others in the past.

Second anyone with remedial knowledge in collecting helmets knows you need non glare, non blurry correct angle photos to get qualified and meaningful opinions. Fooling a forum into believing its rust spots when it's clearly not. Why? Manmade damage to the fake decal as well.

Third, he appears to be here to argue and not learn. His first statement is "Opinions about this M40 Q-helmet please." This is followed by incorrect arguments for the lot number, the "rust spotting" giving the impression his bad decal is the Italian 90's fake, his reasoning the postwar Norwegian liner and strap are authentic "OK, but what do you think of the helmet itself? Maybe its inside is a little too red, but it comes from Norway, so why not."

Fourth he defends his seller almost religiously;

"I bought this helmet in 1998 from the Swedish collector Anders Skötte and he told me then and even now that this helmet is 100% original. He told me that the helmet came from a collector in Norway in the 80's."

"The seller of this helmet argues that the decal of my helmet is genuine and the like are included in books on SS helmets."

"He has also informed me about two guys on a printing company outside Nurnberg in Germany in the early 2000's made ​​fine copies of decals that has cheated some experts, and that these decals are on images of real helmets in books on SS helmets."

"Most of what I wrote about was information that I received from the person who sold the helmet to me. It is perhaps not surprising that I tell you what this man said about the helmet because he previously had a kind of expert status on the subject German helmets. For example, he has written a book about helmets also mentioned in this for"

If I didn't know better I would think it was this Skotte fellow himself posting this trash.

Finally the helmet bought in 98 for $1300. 1897 vacillates between an education money statement and claiming to just honestly wanting to know if it's real to arguing with members - "it was bought in Norway, so what." Why bother with price? Why bother with dates. It's real. Or not. Date and price make no difference. After nearly 15 years it's finally suspect? Or we need to use blurry pics and incorrect statements to make it seem real "enough"?

I do not trust people who post in this fashion, in particular those who choose to remain anonymous, and I will always aggresively challenge them so as to find thier true intentions. To many schiesters around who take advantage of collectors by using half truths, innuendo, false knowledge and made up credentials for me to sit idly on my hands.

When the first thing they do is attack, delete thier posts, and say they are leaving the forum rather than show true intent, the zebra has shown their stripes in my book. The intent was not to find out if this was simply real or not. I do not know what it fully was but I suspect the worst.

If this is a mere collector who just wants to get his money back why the push back, post deletions, hyper-defensive posture about his seller, poor photos, and attack/argumentative posts? Just ask the question, as he opened with, by asking a simple opinion without all the rest and then get his refund.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast