Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

M40 Relic ss ???????????????????????????????????????

Article about: i sold it cheap but i also got it cheap i am glad you like it bratters wayne

Default M40 Relic ss ???????????????????????????????????????

Hello chaps its boiling hot and i am sat here posting this because i need to know..i got this helmet and have given it a soak in oxalic acid for a while and there seems to have been a decal on the right side now i know its calm down time but there really was decal there but has been scraped off i have taken many pics trying to capture the right pic to show guys..i also want to know how to get rid of the white salty mark's from using acid i have soaked it in sodium carbonate but cant seem to get rid of it..the shadow decal appears to be 3.5cm / 4cm anyhelp would be great...
    cheers
    wayne
    i have added before and after pics
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M40 Relic ss ???????????????????????????????????????   M40 Relic ss ???????????????????????????????????????  

M40 Relic ss ???????????????????????????????????????   M40 Relic ss ???????????????????????????????????????  

M40 Relic ss ???????????????????????????????????????   M40 Relic ss ???????????????????????????????????????  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M40 Relic ss ???????????????????????????????????????
    P
    Many

Default Re: M40 Relic ss ???????????????????????????????????????

Hmm hard to say. Maker and lot # would help but that might not be possible in that condition.

?

Try and see if you can get the lot # out. I have recovered a lot # from a lid in worse or same condition as yours. Try and use a very find grid sanding paper and get down to the metal. After this i shot some pics in super macro and put studied them on the monitor. I worked fine.

Regards, Lars

Hi guys i was going to buy a wire brush but bought a normal dish scrubbing brush i was trying to protect what i could..i know its been said a million times before but this really a decal on the rigth side i shown the other side just to scrubb out the chances of it being a d/d/ police but there is No trace what so ever of a decal on the left side..i will get a wire brush and try to uncover the lot/maker...does anyone have any advice on how to get rid of the white smeg that is ruining the helmet..
    cheers
    wayne

?

Any traces of a decal that is seen is pretty much gone now it appears.

?

Quote by ww2relicsandcollectables View Post
    Hi guys i was going to buy a wire brush but bought a normal dish scrubbing brush i was trying to protect what i could..i know its been said a million times before but this really a decal on the rigth side i shown the other side just to scrubb out the chances of it being a d/d/ police but there is No trace what so ever of a decal on the left side..i will get a wire brush and try to uncover the lot/maker...does anyone have any advice on how to get rid of the white smeg that is ruining the helmet..
    cheers
    wayne
    I don't use oxalic acid myself but vinegar or electrolysis. All three kinds of cleaning, oxy, vinegar and electrolysis will will remove decal remnants. IMO electrolysis is the least aggressive method.

Regards, Lars

?

You must have x ray eyes to see a decal on there !! Can't see anything that indicates this was an SS Helmet !!

regards

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Quote by Paul E View Post
    You must have x ray eyes to see a decal on there !! Can't see anything that indicates this was an SS Helmet !!

regards

Paul
    If you look at pic's 2 & 3 you can CLEARLY see the shadowy remains of the top half of a decal you dont need eyes like superman ....
    wayne

Quote by DougB View Post
    Any traces of a decal that is seen is pretty much gone now it appears.
    Hi Doug thank you for your imput, when the helmet arrived i thought the person who owned it had rubbed it to see if the was a trace of any decal'. when i pulled it out of the water i could see the top part of a decal so i looked at the other side to see if i could see the same on that side and couldn't. so i measured the remains and it match's the other ss relic i have give or take a cm or 2...if i could remove the white residue i think it would look a lot better....
    Regards
    Wayne

Hi all I bought this helmet from him, very pleased with it, the pictures shown its impossible to see the decal trace but holding it in person I can confirm I can see the outline of the top half an SS rune/decal

wayne buy a better camera lol

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast