Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

M42 relic - with twin SS-runes.

Article about: Hi, I have this M42 SS-helmet with twin SS-runes. ...bought this helmet 7-8 years ago from a great-collector in UK - it was in his personal collection. It was himself that dug it up at Ilmen

Default Re: M42 relic - with twin SS-runes.

It's amazing how a decal can outlast steel itself in the ground that long, truly ;-) I dig up old iron things in fields all the time working on a farm, and even things paint with thick coats of industrial paint when they were made will have zero trace of any paint whatsoever.

Even if such an item were real, it would be the shabbiest piece of militaria I've ever owned... I can already imagine bragging to a few select friends and family "And I paid (insert stupid amount here ;-) for this!" and watch the look of pure amazement on their faces...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M42 relic - with twin SS-runes.
    P
    Many

SS decals actually stand up well to being buried quite often. The pulver content seems to be an ideal rust preventive, given the right soil conditions.

?

Quote by kilomikesierra1960 View Post
    It's amazing how a decal can outlast steel itself in the ground that long, truly ;-) I dig up old iron things in fields all the time working on a farm, and even things paint with thick coats of industrial paint when they were made will have zero trace of any paint whatsoever.

Even if such an item were real, it would be the shabbiest piece of militaria I've ever owned... I can already imagine bragging to a few select friends and family "And I paid (insert stupid amount here ;-) for this!" and watch the look of pure amazement on their faces...
    Not sure what your point is here mate , decals can survive in many different ground conditions and some will still be in very good condition as can paint work , this site is littered with dozens of examples of this !! If you don't collect relics as they are " the shabbiest piece of militaria I've ever owned " why comment ??
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

I agree with Paul.
    I have been a relic hunt for 30 years now.
    The soil has everything to do with it.Some soil preserve items very well and other just do not.
    I do have some nice helmets that were ground found in great condition.
    But I still will not pay crasy $ for a relic SS helmet that is falling a part.
    chris

?

'Shabby'??? ,if you seriously think about it everything we collect is a relic ,its just the condition that varies, many collectors would be over the moon to dig up a 'relic' SS helmet with even remnants of a decal,dont forget that there are many personal tastes in militaria collecting,it is unfortunate that Replace has been sold a bill of goods but to condemn people who collect 'relics' is'nt really in the spirit of the forum imo

Thanks for all the answers.

I do not have contact with seller anymore.
    ...and do not remember his name.
    Decals was not mentioned/shown until after the business.
    He was quit serious, but looks like he sold me a helmet with fake decals - not okay.

I am not a big helmet collector, but have a few.
    Think I will keep this one - then I know what not to buy.

I am very much into german relics - spend many hours metal detecting.
    ...found a lot!

Regards
    Replace

It would be nice to see your finds in another thread
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

?

I am not big on relics myself but I would love to go out with Paul one day and try my hand at digging some up myself. Paul, it is on the bucket list. Maybe 2015?

?

Quote by DougB View Post
    I am not big on relics myself but I would love to go out with Paul one day and try my hand at digging some up myself. Paul, it is on the bucket list. Maybe 2015?
    Anytime Doug would be great to see you in 2015, you will always be welcome !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

I have two relic SS helmets ( I otherwise do not collect SS items ) but I would consider decal remnants like these as much as you could or should expect to find on a ground dug item. One came from Maris ( Ostlanddigger ) and the other from a digger via England and they have been vetted by this forum last year - yes, some soils are very preservative but examples from those areas are scarce. Any complete or pristine decals would be suspect IMO

Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M42 relic - with twin SS-runes.   M42 relic - with twin SS-runes.  

" I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast