Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

M42 ss helmet, is it original?

Article about: Hello everyone, I'm thinking of buying this helmet but I'm not sure if it's original. The seller is asking 2000 euros for it. Hopefully you guys will be able to help me out. Thanks in advanc

MAP
    ?

Quote by Dion070nl View Post
    ....and hopefully no one will fall for this one....

...It's a shame though, rebrushing an original helmet to make it seem more valuable....
    1) Someone WILL fall for it and get screwed

2) tarting up a helmet for a profit? Happens every day...
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M42 ss helmet, is it original?
    P
    Many

One of the strengths of this forum is the fakes do get documented and images retained in the database where the wise and prudent collector can find them in years to come if they only look and ask before buying.

Thanks again, one little question though, does anyone have some basic tips for distinguishing real ss decals from the fakes? To be honest, I really can't see any red flags when comparing certain fakes and originals from time to time.

I posted a few decals in the SS decal section here. Pocher, Quist & ET. Maybe that will help you
    D.

MAP
    ?

Quote by Dion070nl View Post
    Thanks again, one little question though, does anyone have some basic tips for distinguishing real ss decals from the fakes? To be honest, I really can't see any red flags when comparing certain fakes and originals from time to time.
    1) Study
    2) Read the materials available on the forums (i.e. Davids decals)
    3) Read Ken Niewiarowicz "The Helmet Decals of the Third Reich" book
    4) Handle as many as you can
    5) Repeat steps 1 thru 4 over and over

The basics are easy to learn from the books but the fine points take years of learning. That is why the forums are great.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2