MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M42 - What do you think?

Article about: Hi everyone, I Purchased a couple of helmets about 15 years ago an M16 and an M42 and I am in a position now where I can and would like to start to collect again. I have some photo's to post

Default M42 - What do you think?

Hi everyone,

I Purchased a couple of helmets about 15 years ago an M16 and an M42 and I am in a position now where I can and would like to start to collect again. I have some photo's to post of my M42 and would like some opinions on it. I think the decal is a real Heer decal??? The shell looks like it has been sanded on the outside. Interestingly I can make out 3 shades, a green, some black and white. I do wonder if it has had many 3 coats in its time perhaps one being a white camo? The inside rear skirt is dark field green. It is an ET64. 1712 is stamped into the rear skirt. The chinstrap has what lookes like "Liepe" or similar stamped into it. Couldn't find a dome stamp. The liner is dubious as it does not appear like it was the original.

Thanks for your time,
    AndrewM42 - What do you think?M42 - What do you think?M42 - What do you think?M42 - What do you think?M42 - What do you think?M42 - What do you think?M42 - What do you think?M42 - What do you think?M42 - What do you think?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M42 - What do you think?
    P
    Many

First off, the thread needs to go in the general section, not the SS sub-forum.
    Second, why do you say you think the liner is "dubious"? ( the 2 photos so far seem OK )
    Third, its probably more likely a post war paint that has been scrubbed / stripped back to reveal what looks like a good decal. Front Rivets look like they have been out ( no paint, look like earlier brass ones ) and the back does not match. check to see if the insides of the rivets have 'double bends' ( like they have been unfolded, removed and folded again. )
    Regards. Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Apologies, Dan. I'm new too this and didn't realise that I'd posted in the SS forum. So, apologies to all. My questions regarding the liner are the fact that underneath each hole for the cord, there is no round eyelet (if that is what is is called). I could not find any stamps and the tongues seem to me very stretched (more than what I've seen in other examples. Thank you for your reply and I will be more careful with my next posting Andrew

Quote by AndyM35 View Post
    Apologies, Dan. I'm new too this and didn't realise that I'd posted in the SS forum. So, apologies to all. My questions regarding the liner are the fact that underneath each hole for the cord, there is no round eyelet (if that is what is is called). I could not find any stamps and the tongues seem to me very stretched (more than what I've seen in other examples. Thank you for your reply and I will be more careful with my next posting Andrew
    Hey, no worries man. You should NOT see an eyelet they were on post war liners. If you mean the circular stiffening piece of leather, these can fall off as they were only glued. if the liner cord was unlaced and they were loose they will be lost. Please post some more photos of the liner so we can give you a better idea of what you have.
    Stretching of the liner tongues is also OK.
    Welcome to the forum by the way!!
    Cheers, Dan

Thanks Dan. I'll post some more pictures of the liner tomorrow.

Default More pics of the liner, liner band and decal.

M42 - What do you think?M42 - What do you think?M42 - What do you think?M42 - What do you think?M42 - What do you think?

Liner is good just stretched ( probably why the reinforcing bits are gone) - also drawstring is replaced. Hard to see if any double bends on the rivets but probably yes. I'm going for a restored helmet with replaced liner ( but an original one )
    Still not a bad example Andy.
    Cheers, Dan

As Dan said the liner has stretched!...

Hi Andrew, as Dan states, the liner may have been out, but it is original and in my opinion matches the shell in condition so is probably the original one to this helmet. A touch salty, but all in all a representative example of an M42. Leon.

Dan, Leon and Gunny, thanks for the replies and the information. I'm really enjoying this forum and it has really reinvigorated my interest in collecting helmets and other militaria again. I like assessing the helmet pictures and seeing how I go compared with the more experienced members on the forum. It's great learning from you all so thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast