Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

My first SD SS helmet

Article about: Hello, can someone please tell me if the decal is authentic? Thanks in advance!

Default My first SD SS helmet

Hello, can someone please tell me if the decal is authentic? Thanks in advance!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My first SD SS helmet   My first SD SS helmet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My first SD SS helmet
    P
    Many

Hello, welcome to the forum, I have to say that in my opinion this is a fake pre-aged Pocher style decal that has been lightly sanded for extra effect. What is the maker and lot number of this helmet? That will give us extra clues as to what is going on here with this lid. Leon.

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Hello, welcome to the forum, I have to say that in my opinion this is a fake pre-aged Pocher style decal that has been lightly sanded for extra effect. What is the maker and lot number of this helmet? That will give us extra clues as to what is going on here with this lid. Leon.
    Hi, I agree it's a repro decal.

Quote by Blackdog View Post
    Hi, I agree it's a repro decal.
    Hello, thanks for the reactions... The serial nr is DN243 and size is Q66. Kind regards

Quote by Roccatje View Post
    Hello, thanks for the reactions... The serial nr is DN243 and size is Q66. Kind regards
    Hi, definitely the wrong "type" of decal, an original Quist decal would show the runes finishing slightly below the "break" to the shield, these are level. Sadly it still remains a fake decal of the wrong type for the maker of helmet. Leon

Hi Leon, thank you for your help! I bought the helmet on an auction in Tallahasee US. I already complaind to the auctionhouse that the helmet is not ok as they said. Now there asking me to send an email from the experts (you...) with the explenation why it's not an authentic helmet. Could you help me? Thanks in advance! Kind regards Peter

Quote by Roccatje View Post
    Hi Leon, thank you for your help! I bought the helmet on an auction in Tallahasee US. I already complaind to the auctionhouse that the helmet is not ok as they said. Now there asking me to send an email from the experts (you...) with the explenation why it's not an authentic helmet. Could you help me? Thanks in advance! Kind regards Peter
    Hi Peter, I hate to say this but unless the auction house stated in their description that this was a genuine WW2 SS helmet you will not have a leg to stand on. Auction houses have been using wishy washy "descriptions" to sell junk for years as all they are interested in is their premium! Auction houses will also state that any "experts" opinion is just that, an "opinion" and will just say that they disagree. I feel that you may well have to bite the bullet at the end of they day but if you want to go ahead and have it out with them the best person to get the "experts" opinion from is Kelly Hicks at SS-Steel. Send him a good image of the decal and helmet, I am sure he will help you out as he is a renowed expert and dealer in this field. All the best, Leon.

If you want a real SS lid just save up 3 or 4k and get one from a top dealer, the days of finding or buying a real budget SS lid are long gone as the market is flooded with fakes. Same goes for any SS item which is why I stear clear.

The directional scratches on the decal scream 'sandpaper' to me.

It also looks like the shell was manufactured by Quist - there should be a stamp over the wearer's left ear that is the the maker size stamp - for example "Q64", "Q66" etc. Q is for Quist, the 2 digit number, 60, 62, 64, 66, 68 would be the size of the shell. This one looks like it would be a Q64 or a Q66. If it is a Q shell, the decal is the wrong style. (If the maker size stamp is on the rear of the helmet the helmet was manufactured later on during the War, say after mid 1943, and the helmet shouldn't have any decal at all.). If the maker size stamp is on the wearer's left, and starts with"Q" it is a mid war M40 shell. The Quist factory used a specific SS decal unique to Quist, not the ubiquitous Pocher runic shield, like this repro decal is supposed to be. The decal on this piece is fake. I am suspicious of the chin strap as well - it looks like a repro. Go to the SS decal thread started by Doug B. in this section of the forum and print pictures of the Q and Pocher runic shields posted in that thread. Compare the shapes of the runes and the positions of the runes in the shield. The bottom of the runes on a real Q runic shield are noticeable below the "break" (where the vertical lines on the sides of the decal start to curve inward towards the middle of the bottom of the decal). The bottoms of the runes on the decal of this helmet are even with the break. That is not correct for a Q SS helmet. Also, the composition of the silver portion of the decal does not appear to be the metalic pulver that is seen on real SS decals. Unfortunately, this one is an out and out fake. If you can get hold of a copy of Ken Niewiarowicz' book about decals of the helmets of the Third Reich (I am not home now and I don't remember the exact title of the book) or a copy of Kelly Hicks' book "SS Steel" you can show the auction house what I have described here. Good luck. Jim G.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast