Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need Authentication on SS Wire Helmet

Article about: Hi everyone, my first real post here and need your expertise I'm about to buy, do you guys think its the real deal? Much appreciated, Mark

Default Need Authentication on SS Wire Helmet

Hi everyone, my first real post here and need your expertise on this helmet I'm about to buy, do you guys think its the real deal?

Helmet is marked ET62

Much appreciated,

Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need Authentication on SS Wire Helmet   Need Authentication on SS Wire Helmet  

Need Authentication on SS Wire Helmet   Need Authentication on SS Wire Helmet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need Authentication on SS Wire Helmet
    P
    Many

MUCH BETTER pictures are needed, but from what I see, I am more than a bit skeptical. Jim G.

If you've only recently started collecting, I'd recommend avoiding SS items entirely. They are a minefield, SS helmets especially so.

A wired SS helmet is a rare combination indeed, and would be worth a small fortune if it was authentic and its provenance was solid. Though the decal cannot be seen clearly, it appears to be a so-called 'round bottom' fake, which doesn't bode well for the rest of the helmet. The liner and chinstrap look suspect as well, and it's worth keeping in mind that it is very easy for an unscrupulous person to add chicken wire to a helmet to increase its value.

There are some collectors who will not touch wired helmets at all, as their provenance can never be fully assured, unless they have come straight out of the woodwork. e.g. from a veteran or recovered as a battlefield relic.

If you're looking to scratch an itch for a German helmet, I'd recommend pursuing something a little 'safer' to begin with, such as an SD Heer or Luftwaffe lid. Of course, any prospective purchase should be posted on the forum first. There are many experts here who will save you from a waste of money, which I suspect is the case with the helmet posted above.

Regards, B.B.

You made the wise decision to come here first.

Hi Mark,

As stated much better photos required. No-one can give a proper evaluation based on those provided.

You need to ask for better closups and in hi res of everything especially a closeup of the decal.

If the seller is not willing or able to provide then keep looking.

Andy

Thanks guys. He said the chin strap is a repo because it was missing when he got it. I got a few more photos. Ive been collecting for a year now and would be my first high ticket item.....if it checks out. What do you guys think?
    Attached Images Attached Images Need Authentication on SS Wire Helmet  Need Authentication on SS Wire Helmet  Need Authentication on SS Wire Helmet 

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the additional images - they are still quite poor but I understand you are at the mercy of the seller in that regard.

I am in way way a decal expert so so please wait to hear from some of our more seasoned decal experts.

However, from what I can see if the decal closeup I’m an not liking it. It appears to have a very rounded bottom to the shield to begin with. Not really seeing any metallic properties to the puller either. Interesting that it has some bubbling particularly around the decal which is a technique sometimes used to age paint etc.

Not getting a good feeling from this helmet overall but just my opinion so definitely to wait for consensus either way.

Andy

Not a good one , fake decal and all the rest.

Yup, this one's a dud, from what I have heard I think all good known factory SS helmets were marked ckl, none ET, doesn't apply to reissues of course, but should be taken into account and given this one claims to have it all is just another red flag.
    Luis

I will pass on this helmet, I appreciate the information. I know SS items are heavily faked but to me the patina of it all was well done and it almost fooled me. I was about to buy it but as Andy stated the paint of the logo really bothered me so I wanted more opinions. I believe the burned look of the decal paint that doesn't match the rest of the helmet is the main giveaway.

I'll keep on the hunt for the holy grail

Cheers,

Mark

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast