Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Need help discerning what I have appears to be M42 Kriegsmarine made into double decal SS

Article about: Used hot water soaked paper towel to soften it then some very intricate work with a sharp bench made pocket knife. Was hoping it would be a little better but at least it's legit. I have no d

?

Default Re: Need help discerning what I have appears to be M42 Kriegsmarine made into double decal SS

Why not use sandpaper like others on here have?! I'm just kidding; please don't do that. I would try hot water as Jerry has suggested.

If that doesn't work, try reading the restoration section of the forum to get ideas. Acetone might work, but you need to tread very carefully with this as you could do more bad than good.

Regardless of the techinique, research your options first before jumping in. Good luck and I hope you are able to expose an original decal under that garbage!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need help discerning what I have appears to be M42 Kriegsmarine made into double decal SS
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Need help discerning what I have appears to be M42 Kriegsmarine made into double decal SS

It's definitely appears to be a Heer decal, slightly toned; not KM.
    Last edited by Masonk; 12-29-2011 at 10:50 PM.

Quote by bhdau1 View Post
    Also the exposed portion of the decal under the party shield appears gold in color. Would this mean Kriegsmarine or is it just discoloration?
    This is difficult to say without seeing the decal. It could be either discoloration or a Kreigsmarine decal.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Quote by yuengling325 View Post
    Why not use sandpaper like others on here have?! I'm just kidding; please don't do that. I would try hot water as Jerry has suggested.

If that doesn't work, try reading the restoration section of the forum to get ideas. Acetone might work, but you need to tread very carefully with this as you could do more bad than good.

Regardless of the techinique, research your options first before jumping in. Good luck and I hope you are able to expose an original decal under that garbage!
    Lol ! - I almost had a heart attack when you mentioned sanding it.........!

Do not use acetone, as it will also ruin the underlying decal ( if its a good one )
    and also change the hue or tone of the paint when rubbing off the
    fake decals. Some hot water might be the best option.........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

I thought you would get a kick out of that, Steve! And you are probably correct regarding the acetone, although I have seen where others have been able to expose an original decal, however they were painted over; not with a decal applied ontop. This could prove to be a bit more difficult, especially for someone who has never done restorations before.

Hopefully hot water works as it would quite a shame not to be able to expose what could be an authentic decal....

If it is an original decal, then I would say from what I can see of it that it is Heer. KM decals should be very deep gold, not just a little discolored.

?

UPDATED PICS since removing most of bogus party shield. The decal is definitely gold but is it gold enough for Kreigsmarine? Definitely looks like a real decal
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need help discerning what I have appears to be M42 Kriegsmarine made into double decal SS   Need help discerning what I have appears to be M42 Kriegsmarine made into double decal SS  

Toned Heer.

Now get rid of the bogus SS decal.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by bhdau1 View Post
    UPDATED PICS since removing most of bogus party shield. The decal is definitely gold but is it gold enough for Kreigsmarine? Definitely looks like a real decal
    How did you get it off? Looks good so far.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

You did a good job of getting it off. As Ade said, get rid of the SS one and you are good to go. It is Heer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast