Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need Opinions: DD camo M40 SS

Article about: This is the second helmet I traded for. The liner was noted to be fake and I was given a legit liner to replace it. I tried to photo some rust areas and hope they will help you. I am very ap

Default Need Opinions: DD camo M40 SS

This is the second helmet I traded for. The liner was noted to be fake and I was given a legit liner to replace it. I tried to photo some rust areas and hope they will help you. I am very appreciative of your help so far with the Fallschirm. I will post 10 photos. The lot number is barely legible, wonder if it was sanded off?
    Regards to all and thanks for your help!
    JerryNeed Opinions: DD camo M40 SSNeed Opinions: DD camo M40 SSNeed Opinions: DD camo M40 SSNeed Opinions: DD camo M40 SSNeed Opinions: DD camo M40 SSNeed Opinions: DD camo M40 SSNeed Opinions: DD camo M40 SSNeed Opinions: DD camo M40 SSNeed Opinions: DD camo M40 SSNeed Opinions: DD camo M40 SS

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need Opinions: DD camo M40 SS
    P
    Many

Default Re: Need Opinions: DD camo M40 SS

Hi Jerry, sorry to say this is a fake too. The paintwork is new with the green background the wrong shade and the decals are fakes which are graphically incorrect.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Thank you again Ade. My son and I took a very close look with magnification, and I'll be damned if the "rust " spots aren't paint with metal flakings, they have almost a "stuck on" feel to them. Perhaps the administrators would be kind enough to move these posts to the fake helmet section, maybe they will help others?
    Kind regards,
    Jerry

?

Jerry this is a really poor fake unfortunately i hope you haven't spent much for it !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Yes, a really poor fake, no wear, glossy paint, looks like shoe polish rubbed over the decals, sorry.

One aspect of this helmet that immediately stood out to me is the artificial wear on the decals. May I suggest you study the wear on original decals as you will become aware of the difference. Sorry you got a bad one.
    Last edited by BOB COLEMAN; 12-09-2011 at 04:45 PM.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

The main thing that jumps out at me as being fake is the condition of the decals.

The decals would be more convincing if they were on a more salty looking, rusted out helmet, instead of a helmet that looks close to mint. They just don't go together! It looks as if someone vaccume sealed every part of the helmet, EXCEPT for the decals, and let the exposed decal areas rust out for ~70yrs.

The liner also looks to be one of those red dyed post war jobbers, if not a 100% modern fake.

Hope this helps!

?

Quote by jfxcushman View Post
    My son and I took a very close look with magnification, and I'll be damned if the "rust " spots aren't paint with metal flakings, they have almost a "stuck on" feel to them.
    These decals are the fakes that are graphic copies of aged decals, the rust is not real it is printed on the decal like everything else. The guys that make these also use graphic copies of real decals, they were using one of the Q decals from a helmet in my collection until I emailed them and used a lot of bad language. In hand these are very easy to discern and the fakes that are printed copies of aged decals do not need an in hand, they are easy to spot.

PS everything about this helmet is bad.

As an aside, every SS decal must be magnified to determine authenticity.

Sorry your trades are turning out bad Jerry.

Doug

Not to worry guys- the gentleman will be giving me my Lugers back and is very upset that these are not legitimate. He is not a helmet collector either, but is a fellow Luger collector. I beleive he is a man of high integrity. I am very thankful to have found such an informative and honest forum to join, again your guidance is much appreciated.
    Jerry

?

Sorry that these have proven to be fake and im pleased that the seller will be returning your lugers, although the helmet decals are fake the liner is a repro as well, its not one of the Norwegian red dye versions that i can tell

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast