MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A new addition to the wall - a relic SS lid

Article about: Nice one Dan, well done Mate

Default A new addition to the wall - a relic SS lid

Hi all,
    Well the secrets out ( if there was one ) - I was the speedy Gonzalez that put his hand up when our friend OSTLANDIGGER showed this helmet in this thread -
    One more battlefield damaged m42 SS helmet from Lett.19.SS.Frw.Div.position

It has provenance, connection to the Latvian legion and built in soul ....... and for me, affordability. Not to everyone's liking but, to each his ( or her ) own - that's what makes this hobby interesting for all tastes. A decal that seems to stands the test and a hint of original colour here and there .... and mother natures brushwork over the balance just to tell us all she is in control, not us!

Obviously there is no visible stamping, but by the shape and size I am leaning towards an EF66 ...... any shape gurus out there??

Enough from me, here are the pix. I really don't thing there is any way more can be revealed and I don't wish to try. The wax coating seems to be protecting it fine and the decal is just haunting enough in it's current form - and considering what the Russians did to the Latvian "traitors", gives a double tragedy to it.

Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A new addition to the wall - a relic SS lid   A new addition to the wall - a relic SS lid  

A new addition to the wall - a relic SS lid   A new addition to the wall - a relic SS lid  

A new addition to the wall - a relic SS lid   A new addition to the wall - a relic SS lid  

A new addition to the wall - a relic SS lid  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement A new addition to the wall - a relic SS lid
    P
    Many

Default Re: A new addition to the wall - a relic SS lid

Awesome lid! A perfect relic IMO.

I figured it was you who jumped on this one when the thread was posted.

Well done Dan, a very nice pickup indeed. Just enough decal to know what it is but a good back history to it as well. Will look great with the others

Jason

Thanks guys - I am truly sorry if I trod on anyone's toes in my rush to get it ...............snigger, snigger .....
    Now comes the "how am I gonna fit all this in a display" stage .... ah, what a great problem to have!
    Cheers, Dan

If you"re having dramas about a lack of room I have the solution, sent your surplus lids to me and I'll take good care of them until you decide what you want to do with them.

Nice matey, that one certainly saw a little action

i,m glad you like it Dan.And just 11 days from me -to Australia=THUMBS UP FOR POST OFFICE GUY,S FROM ALL OWER THE WORLD.They did it realy fast.
    Will go to check for some more relics in my garage.

?

Nice veteran of the Ostfront Dan !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Not sure it's an EF, vent hole looks more ckl-ish and decal looks to be the ET but hard to tell for certain. It's a nice addition Dan.

I defer to your experience Doug - EF was just a guess and the size was a measurement across and a comparison to other 66 lids I have.
    Regards, Dan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast