Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

A new SS camo arrives. This one is pretty special.

Article about: ET 62 lot nr 3884 M35 DD SS Normandy camo named to SS Uffz. Malke, III Btn, 15 Ko, SS-LAH. This helmet is extensively published and is known among us SS helmet enthusiasts as perhaps the top

Default Re: A new SS camo arrives. This one is pretty special.

The decals aren't reapplied over the camo are they? They look to have been carefully masked off?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement A new SS camo arrives.   This one is pretty special.
    P
    Many

What a beauty, congratulations !!

It is something us mortal only dream about in our sleep ;-)
    Mfg
    Marc

?

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    The decals aren't reapplied over the camo are they? They look to have been carefully masked off?
    No not applied over the camo, the decals were a looooong time ago unearthed by an old collector, how much was covered I don't know but it's part of the collecting lore now and I love it! They did however paint around or mask off or just used thier thumb to clean the paint. I've an old SS camo with a thumb print in the paint near the decal and paint smudges around it.

Thanks for the kind words, this helmet is very well known and is in most helmet books including the bible by Ludwig Baer. I am going to take better photos of it today.

?

Oh Oh OOOOOOOH.
    I'd give you my first born for it but his wife says he still has to paint the house and tend the garden.

?

Quote by DougB View Post
    No not applied over the camo, the decals were a looooong time ago unearthed by an old collector, how much was covered I don't know but it's part of the collecting lore now and I love it! They did however paint around or mask off or just used thier thumb to clean the paint. I've an old SS camo with a thumb print in the paint near the decal and paint smudges around it.

Thanks for the kind words, this helmet is very well known and is in most helmet books including the bible by Ludwig Baer. I am going to take better photos of it today.
    Doug
    Lovely helmet can't wait.

Hoss

A new SS camo arrives.   This one is pretty special.

?

Quote by Unterstand View Post
    Doug
    Lovely helmet can't wait.

Hoss

Thats the EF tan camo found with the camo cover that I think Steve S owns now. I had a chance to buy this when it was at auction but passed. Silly me.

?

Interesting. Camo paints I have seen applied to SS M42 EF's never hold up well to EF pattern decals.

Here's another example of a camo M42 EF. You can even make out it's an EF pattern decal.

?

Thanks for the kind words all. It is an honour to be the custodian of this helmet.

Samir I don't think its a matter of EF decals not having paint adhere to them. I am/have been fortunate enough to own or have owned a few EF M42 SS camos, and they have been no different than any others. I think most SS helmets partially cleaned or masked off the decals. The one you posted above I have seen, the camo is lightly applied overtop the decal if I recall. The one Hoss posted which I am sure Steve still owns, you can see the fingerprints where the soldier cleaned off the runes a bit.

?

Worthy of one of the more comfortable spots on your shelves Doug, thank you for sharing this one.

?

Quote by DougB View Post
    Thanks for the kind words all. It is an honour to be the custodian of this helmet.

Samir I don't think its a matter of EF decals not having paint adhere to them. I am/have been fortunate enough to own or have owned a few EF M42 SS camos, and they have been no different than any others. I think most SS helmets partially cleaned or masked off the decals. The one you posted above I have seen, the camo is lightly applied overtop the decal if I recall. The one Hoss posted which I am sure Steve still owns, you can see the fingerprints where the soldier cleaned off the runes a bit.
    I see. Interesting indeed. I know u have lots of experience with SS camo's as well, so I trust you, Doug. =)

Samir

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast