MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Normandy SS Relic helmet info please

Article about: Hi All Just been to Normandy and acquired this helmet. It was recovered over 20yrs ago and stored - so ago so still shows considerable paint and insignia, but heavily pitted with shrapnel da

Linscott
    ?

Default Normandy SS Relic helmet info please

Hi All
    Just been to Normandy and acquired this helmet. It was recovered over 20yrs ago and stored - so ago so still shows considerable paint and insignia, but heavily pitted with shrapnel damage. I am no expert and would appreciate any info on the type of helmet and the badge on side. The pitting entends into the decal and does not appear to have been overlaid. Your thoughts and knowledge would be appreciated.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Normandy SS Relic helmet info please   Normandy SS Relic helmet info please  

2. # ADS

Default Re: Normandy SS Relic helmet info please

Have you got any better pictures please.
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Linscott
    ?

Hmm. reduced these down to 34k. Looks like too compressed. The originals are 340-450k, what range can I post on here? I will try again with 78k.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Normandy SS Relic helmet info please  

Linscott
    ?

remainder all about 70k. How are these?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Normandy SS Relic helmet info please   Normandy SS Relic helmet info please  

Caseydiggz
    ?

In my opinion I think it "could be" an original SS decal.

I try to stay away from anything SS. The collecting, artificial aging, and reproducing of ss helmets has gotten out of hand.

I'm not doubting the authenticity of the helmet. I'm just saying somebody could have applied the decal to try to spice up the value.

Just my 2 cents!

Linscott
    ?

Cost was minimal - GBP20, but putting that aside, can anyone tell me what type it is? I think I can figure its not M42, but can't work out if M35 or M40 as no expert on rivets etc only what i have seen on a few web pages.
    Also in terms of corrosion, would the rust holes to the right side compared with a more substantial left indicate it had been partially buried, if so would such corrosion more likely occur to teh buried section or that exposed to the elements?

?

I think it must be good one, but unfortunately there nothing valuable remain on this helmet
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

?

Looks like an M40, with a possible Q decal which would only be found on a Q shell. I cant tell with this type of damage if 100% original but see no out and out red flags.

It may no real value Dimas but to alot of the collectors on this forum they can not afford an SS helmet in good condition. Your one of the fortunate people who have possibly a hundred or two helmets pass threw your hands every year. Besides value is not everything it's a nice battlefield relic that just happens to be full of holes and cracks

rgds, Ty
    Last edited by Ty Revelo; 09-15-2013 at 06:40 PM.

Linscott
    ?

Many thanks for your thoughts - an M40 helmet. DougB can you explain how a Q decal and helmet differs from others? Teh fact it's damaged etc but retains some identifiable elements is what makes it good reminder of my visit to Normandy and the hard reality of the fighting there - the memory of which can be lost in the usual spin around the beaches and museums.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast