Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Please help! Are those ss decals (helmet) original?

Article about: Please help me, do you know if those decals are original, it is from a helmet from someone who says it was from his grand father? (also photo from the helmet and the inside.) please help!

Question Please help! Are those ss decals (helmet) original?

Please help me, do you know if those decals are original, it is from a helmet from someone who says it was from his grand father? (also photo from the helmet and the inside.) please help!
    Please help! Are those ss decals (helmet) original?Please help! Are those ss decals (helmet) original?Please help! Are those ss decals (helmet) original?Please help! Are those ss decals (helmet) original?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Please help! Are those ss decals (helmet) original?
    P
    Many

I believe they are reproductions. The liner also appears to not be German WW2 issue

From the perspective of a helmet novice: Both the runes and the arms of the swastika look too thin, and the colours on the party decal too bright. It's difficult to make out in the photos, but both decals also seem to have been applied on top of the rust on the shell. I can't comment on the liner or chinstrap, but if I had to make an educated guess, I'd say it was a non-decal helmet that has been tarted up to look like an SS lid.

Regards, B.B.

Hi, sadly the decals are not original SS, they really are quite poor copies and as said the liners leather does not look period either. I would say that the liner band and steel itself are fine, but the the other elements are post war additions. Leon.

TWS
    ?

Agree with the others. Decals are poor reproductions and the liner does not appear original.

Yes - they are SS decals, they just aren't REAL SS decals. Jim G.

Gotta love the 5 generation got it from a guy" Grandfather stories " which are as authentic as COAs

No disrespect Jonas ...we heard all kinds of these wild tales ...and in the end its really about the authenticity of the artifact.
    The artifact supports the story ...not the other way around.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Maybe grandfather was a re-enactor :-)

The decals maybe can be removed which would at least leave a reasonable non decal helmet for display so long as you don't look at the liner.
    I have to 2nd what Larry says about these stories behind the helmet. Even if everything looks to be authentic and as it should, the story could still be a load of baloney. Another SS helmet was recently posted 'from the Kharkov region' - we'll never really know if this was true. Just like all those Stalingrad helmets out there.
    Nick

Quote by HoundsTooth View Post
    The decals maybe can be removed which would at least leave a reasonable non decal helmet for display so long as you don't look at the liner.
    I have to 2nd what Larry says about these stories behind the helmet. Even if everything looks to be authentic and as it should, the story could still be a load of baloney. Another SS helmet was recently posted 'from the Kharkov region' - we'll never really know if this was true. Just like all those Stalingrad helmets out there.
    Nick
    I wouldn't bother even with the decals removed it is just a far cry from the real thing. The paint being new as well.