Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re-decaled relic helmets - what to look out for

Article about: Guys, Doug has done an excellent sticky on the correct styles of SS decal. I suggest we refer to that first. The intent of this thread was to point out the juxtaposition of a completely rust

The 1st and the 5th one still look convincing to me, the 7th is a no-brainer. But all in all, still a scary proposition when a rusty relic is poorly photographed and you are expected to make a decision based on that.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Re-decaled relic helmets - what to look out for
    P
    Many

Thumbs up

A genuinely valuable thread - many thanks, Dan

dan dont feel embarrassed mate ,there are two ways to learn in life ,the easy way and the hard way ,i have unfortunately learned the hard way and still are learning the hard way on certain things out of my scope ,your guide has opened my eyes to how low these sellers will go ,i never thought i would see ground dug relics played with in this manner in my lifetime i must be naive ,thanks again for you guide ,james

Quote by James C View Post
    dan dont feel embarrassed mate ,there are two ways to learn in life ,the easy way and the hard way ,i have unfortunately learned the hard way and still are learning the hard way on certain things out of my scope ,your guide has opened my eyes to how low these sellers will go ,i never thought i would see ground dug relics played with in this manner in my lifetime i must be naive ,thanks again for you guide ,james
    No problems James - as others have helped me out, it is just my small attempt to return the favour - even old dogs like me can learn and grow in knowledge. I remember well some time back arguing the point over several posts with one of our helmet experts, absolutely convinced that I had stumbled upon a 'rough diamond' helmet relic only to sheepishly admit my ignorance and naivety.

If these images may help save some well earned dosh from lining a fakers pockets, then that's a good thing..
    Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

These are the dangers with SS relics;
    1- price point is very low therefore the net the fakers throw out is very wide
    2- this net will catch typically those inexperienced with SS helmets
    3- they can rough up, age and damage a decal to hide the visual identifiers between real and fake
    4- the story of the helmet being dug up at a famous battlefield sells the illusion easily
    5- difficult if not impossible to return

I wouldn't touch an SS relic unless I dug it up myself with Paul E at my side, something on my bucket list.

interesting doug ,have these bogus ss decaled stahlhelms emerged in recent times or have they been around for a while,thanks james

So, what are we talking about here? The blatant fakes as shown by Danmark here or SS relics in general? If it's the latter I have to say that DougB's post here, while of course having its subjective merits, could easily be misread as being somewhat dismissive of the actual availability of real SS relics out there ---
    I've only got one and I made sure to do my homework/get knowledgeable opinions and, I must say, I have no qualms about mine being 100% genuine just like many others I see/have seen on offer out there. Stories on where any particular artifact was found is of course open for debate but, again, a story's degree of credibility also depends somewhat/to a larger degree on the source.

Either way, my two cents... good thread!

?

These like any other fake I assume have perpetuated for a while but the past few years it's been like a fast spreading disease. Take a worthless rusted out helmet and slap a $1 fake SS decal on it and you have a $250 helmet.

My comments are my own opinion slados, I have made no claims or representations. Merely pointing out how dangerous these are.

I know, Doug. I was just pointing to the fact that a statement such as yours is rightfully taken as authoritative (not in the negative sense, mind you), with your position in the collecting community in mind, and that it could therefore easily be misinterpreted as you stating that most SS relics out there are fakes and best left alone altogether --- Hence me countering to the opposite.

I don't really think SS relics, as in a single decal, are that rare at all.... of course, they are rarer than, say, Heer relics but still they are quite easily found if only you take your time. That said, the key point here, imo, is that actively looking for bargains without having a sufficient ballast of knowledge is asking for trouble in any area of collecting.

Quote by slados28 View Post
    So, what are we talking about here? The blatant fakes as shown by Danmark here or SS relics in general? If it's the latter I have to say that DougB's post here, while of course having its subjective merits, could easily be misread as being somewhat dismissive of the actual availability of real SS relics out there ---
    I've only got one and I made sure to do my homework/get knowledgeable opinions and, I must say, I have no qualms about mine being 100% genuine just like many others I see/have seen on offer out there. Stories on where any particular artifact was found is of course open for debate but, again, a story's degree of credibility also depends somewhat/to a larger degree on the source.

Either way, my two cents... good thread!
    Hi Slados , I am not trying to "stir" in the slightest but may we see your good one in this thread to highlight the differences between a genuine relic decal(SS or otherwise) and the terrible fakes as have been highlighted already.(I am not doubting your one , just like to see the comparison) Leon.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast