Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Relic SS helmet, decals legitmate?

Article about: Just need confirmation that the decal is real/fake? many thanks, for years wanted a relic SS but I hold back due to so many fakes... these ok?

Default Re: Relic SS helmet, decals legitmate?

Good job Chris.
    chris

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Relic SS helmet, decals legitmate?
    P
    Many

Is that supposed to be 'Formerly' instead if 'Formally' ?
    They mean two different things.........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

It will take a lot of work and about a good 50 years to convince me any of these are period decals.

It will never cease to amaze me that even the relics that 50 years ago we would have considered rusted out pieces of crap are being Faked today....Back in the day, we would have thought of such crumbling things as Jokes-a Funny "Ha! Ha!" thing to have on your shelf...And Today, you can't even trust Them! Lordy....such a World....
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I think someone has this procedure of making an SS decal look natural on a relic helmet down to a science, the bad fakes prove that someone is trying to make it look good enough to pass and add 100 dollars on to the price of a 30 dollar relic lid, I have one and even though it looks really good I still have my doubts that it is.

A relic with THAT degree of corrosion and rust pitting should have decal remnants that reflect the same amount of degradation, IMO. This is my offering - no sanding marks, no surface prep and no decal in ANY rust crater.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Relic SS helmet, decals legitmate?  
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Quote by Danmark View Post
    This is my offering - no sanding marks, no surface prep and no decal in ANY rust crater.
    If that's a genuine SS relic it must have been heavily cleaned to expose those remains as the decal really does look milky white and awfully lacking in texture/very flat appearance... maybe it's just the photo? Also, I believe examples of SS relics have been posted on here before that certainly prove that, depending on ground conditions, the decal does not always have to match the deterioration of the shell itself.

That said, I'd agree with the general consensus as far as the OP SS relics go---probably not the best source either

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2