Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Relic SS M40 for review

Article about: Hi guys, I have been offered this relic helmet from a member of this forum. I would like to get the SS experts' opinions on the decal. Thanks, Mo

Default Re: Relic SS M40 for review

Doug is the admin in German Helmet Walhalla. I found out yesterday when i joined
    Last edited by don_kihotis7; 09-16-2011 at 04:07 PM.
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Relic SS M40 for review
    P
    Many

?

THanks Phil, the nice thing about this hobby is that it is really all there in front of us. For those willing to invest the time into study and sharing knowledge your on the path to a great hobby experience. For those that want "fast food" collecting you need deep pockets and a lot of time because it will be wasted chasing ghosts.
    Frank is the other Admin over there. Its an enjoyable and well run forum like this one only we are more focused on the study of the German helmet but we have other areas of interest as well.
    Did you join under the same handle donkihotis7?
    Cheers
    Doug

?

Quote by WOODSNAKE View Post
    I'll try, it just appeared ( the decal) to not correspond with the overall condition off the shell, it looks as though its been sanded down, to reflect time and ageing, i can appreciate the rust comeing through the decal as you would expect. rather than it being applied over the rust , but i think the Runes should be more prevallant, but these are just my thoughts, as i said I think it looks Dodgy

Phill
    Thanks Phill , we try to encourage members to give an opinion rather than a few words or a line whcih doesn't really add to the question asked, as seems prevalent on other forums !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Quote by DougB View Post
    Did you join under the same handle donkihotis7?
    Cheers
    Doug
    I'm not sure if i understood what you mean by handle. If it means nickname, yes. If not please explain so that i can reply to your question.
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

Here's the close-up as promised:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Relic SS M40 for review  

?

Quote by donkihotis7 View Post
    I'm not sure if i understood what you mean by handle. If it means nickname, yes. If not please explain so that i can reply to your question.
    Yes nickname, sorry.

?

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    Here's the close-up as promised:
    Can't find any fault, it's heavily scrubbed (cleaned) as to be expected with a relic cleaned for resale purposes. That said I would only want an in hand myself with any relic, just my own quirky way of doing things.

Quote by DougB View Post
    Can't find any fault, it's heavily scrubbed (cleaned) as to be expected with a relic cleaned for resale purposes. That said I would only want an in hand myself with any relic, just my own quirky way of doing things.
    Thanks, Doug! If you have no problem with it then I shall go ahead and make this one my first SS! I am excited about displaying this with my death card for the man who died at Kokkosalmi. It was found in a trench at a riverbank about 10 km away from there.

Anyone know the expected time a package from Russia should take? haha

By the way, I asked about the lot number and factory stamp. I think he forgot that I asked. It looks enough like an ET to me but I will try to figure it out when I get it.

In many cases there are no readable factory stamps and numbers inside of the helmet at all. Post from Russia to USA may take several weeks and it may also take 1-2 months. I belive this helmet is cleaned with oxalic acid and is original but it is a little bit weird that the top of it is so rusty. If You want, You can clean it more but You ave to cover decal first.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast