Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

right or wrong ??

Article about: in need of help again

Default right or wrong ??

right or wrong ??right or wrong ??right or wrong ??

in need of help again

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement right or wrong ??
    P
    Many

Default Re: right or wrong ??

Hi Kevin, very wrong!

Could I offer some advice? You really need to buy a book on SS helmets or even any good book on German steel helmets.

This is pretty basic stuff. There was no such thing as an issue double decal M42 SS helmet.

Only the Police wore double decal M42 helmets.

Run away from this one!

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Kevin, very wrong!

Could I offer some advice? You really need to buy a book on SS helmets or even any good book on German steel helmets.

This is pretty basic stuff. There was no such thing as an double decal M42 SS helmet.

Only the Police wore double decal M42 helmets.

Run away from this one!

Cheers, Ade.
    Of course you are right about the general rule on double decal M42's Ade, but very occasionally you might find a good one like this. Usually it is when a double decal police was reissued to the SS, in that case they would reverse the decals and cover the police decal with runes, keeping the original party decal. Or sometimes just covering both up and going by the usual rules of runes on the right, party on the left. Always Pocher runes in cases like this.

That said, I actually like the decals on this one for good Pochers. Graphically the runes look good, and they have a border inside each rune too. I am curious about this one, could be just post war applied onto a ND M42 though, there does not seem to be any other decal under these..... see what Doug reckons...

?

Without clear closeups of the decals its impossible to say if they are good or bad. If this were a former police the SS decal would be over the police decal and the party shield would be on the other side making it a reverse runic which its not. So no comment yet on authenticity other than without bulletproof provenance I would not touch a double decal M42 SS in this configuration as real decals were more than likely postwar applied.

Did this come from Oakleaf?

Other than that I agree 100% with Ade. I do not recall seeing a double decal M42 SS I believed. So I would heed his advice and study up and leave this one alone.

hi guys this is lot 310 in dreweatts auction 27/11

Quote by kevin1947 View Post
    hi guys this is lot 310 in dreweatts auction 27/11
    My birthday

?

Can't say for sure DD M42 SS lids did not exist. I have seen a couple pop up on other forums for review. Decals turned out to be good, but post war applied. There could be one or two out there that might happen to be period legit, but personally I would steer clear of them. I agree with Adrian, runaway!

?

Quote by SSamir View Post
    Can't say for sure DD M42 SS lids did not exist. I have seen a couple pop up on other forums for review. Decals turned out to be good, but post war applied. There could be one or two out there that might happen to be period legit, but personally I would steer clear of them. I agree with Adrian, runaway!
    If they were real they had to have been field applied meaning a specific decal used or set of decals and wear must unquestionably match. Personally without ironclad provenance I'd never own a DD M42 SS in this configuration.

?

I wouldn't own one either Doug. As I said earlier, i'm not comfortable with them, but that's just me.

Even though the decals look like good original pocher i would personally steer well clear of this one.As has already been said double decal M42 SS is if not non existant it is rarer than hens teeth and would need a full provenence to be considered!Also i don't know what you guys think but the liner looks to be in great condition considering the chinstrap is very well worn and the shell shows good wear to the paintwork too!!I go for post war applied pocher decals.
    Last edited by FALLSCHIRMJAGER; 11-27-2012 at 08:51 PM.