Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Scientific research of an alledged SS NORD helmet

Article about: Dear collectors, Some months back I noticed a relic German helmet for sale on the internet. It was advertised as an "SS Nord" helmet on a well known and reliable website. Knowing t

Jan
    ?

Quote by Anderson View Post
    "there are signs of a so called "boiling" effect possibly caused by extreme heat from the impact of the schrapnel"

Are you sure about that? Could it not also be a recent decal applied then heated from underneath with a blow torch? That might also produce the bubbling effect.
    Not sure... going to check the inside of the helmet when I get into examining the remains of the liner. Some tree roots are visible, possibly more to reveal in what kind of surroundings this helmet has been in touch with over the years.

Best,

Jan

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Scientific research of an alledged SS NORD helmet
    P
    Many

Quote by Jan View Post
    Thank You very much for your input, first of all I would like to say I´m not looking for funding just crowdsourcing

The helmets provenance was indeed poor when I started out my research but it got substantially better when I got more info about the helmet through the seller. The area were the helmet was found a couple of years back correlates with my knowledege about work done by detectorists in Finnish Lapland in recent years (there are only a few out there in this particular area). Still not quite sure about the exact spot were it was found but at the moment it seems all information I have about the helmet and were it was found fit like a glove.

I have no personal interest in this helmet other than the story it tells or doesn´t tell. I feel it´s important to adress questions like this given all the possibilities laboratory tools I have as an historian and as an archaeologist. I´m also interested in the trail an item like this leaves on the Internet and what kind of emotions a find like this raises in the community both here on this forum and elsewhere.

Best, Jan
    Thanks Jan , a lot clearer now , also the photos. I thought the party shield was a runic shield due to the flash glare (or my bad eyes) :-)

A friend of mine has 1 SS helmet which he had researched , it had a full name and feldpost number which increased the odds greatly to find the original wearer.
    He then contacted an expert in such research and the researcher was able to find his file in the German archives.

I can imagine if you have the personnel lists with the KIA or wounded soldiers of SS division Nord you may be able to find something based on the initials.

Is the helmet ET stamped , can you tell ?

Jan
    ?

Thanks again for your comment, I have a colleague researching the KIA and wounded soldiers 25-28.6.1941 of "Nord" right now (not sure though that he has all the documents he needs for this).

We are only at a very early stage of the research at the moment so please be patient. I´m totally aware this might turn out a dead end but I think the lead is worth checking out. Below are a few more finds (medics gear, a leather glove, more helmets) found in the same general area by the same Finnish detectorist as the "Nord" helmet.

Thank You so much for your comments! I will post more detailed, high resolution images, of the helmet tomorrow.

Best, Jan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Scientific research of an alledged SS NORD helmet  

Jan
    ?

This helmet and the research surrounding it will soon be published. The exact date for when it was lost (and it´s owner ?) has been narrowed down to two days in 1941. Still need to visit the find spot though. I give you some new high resolution photos.

Best, Jan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Scientific research of an alledged SS NORD helmet   Scientific research of an alledged SS NORD helmet  

Nice Helmet the bubbles in the Decal are normal for Helmets found in Lapland , I have had a few SS Helmets from Salla with the same Bubbles in the decal ,It may be from the old SS Burial Site in Salla as I know quite a few battle damaged helmets came from there a while ago,The bodys were moved to Rovaniemi to the German soldiers’ cemetery at Norvajärvin and a lot of the helmets and other items were left in the ground in Salla at the original Burial site

Jan
    ?

Thank you so much for the information, very interesting. This happened in co-operation with the Volksbund Deutsche Kriegsgräberfürsorge in 1959 if I remember correctly. I will look into the current situation of that location asap. Do you have any memory about the year when helmets from this area started to pop up?

Best, Jan

I think a lot were dug up around 10 years ago from that place but I know SS helmets are still being found now days I got one from a Guy in Salla last summer

Jan
    ?

A small clarification.

All known SS Nord KIA and other Germans left behind on the Russian side of the border were transferred to the so called "old Salla" military cemetary. Sadly the grave site is very difficult to access due to the current political situation.

We are currently in the process of planning a documentation of the war trail, cultural heritage and modern conflict archaeology of the WW2 remains on the Finnish side on the border near Salla. I´m hopeful that the research could include parts of the border zone too sometime somehow.

Kriegsgraberstatten – Ubersichtsliste | Volksbund Deutsche Kriegsgraberfursorge e. V.

Best, Jan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Scientific research of an alledged SS NORD helmet   Scientific research of an alledged SS NORD helmet  

Scientific research of an alledged SS NORD helmet  

Very interesting thread Jan and I look forward to seeing future updates on the story of this helmet.
    Best of luck
    Harvey

I’m really enjoying reading your research findIngs Jan and look forward to further information as it comes to light.

Andy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast