Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Scrubbed SS Q66 M40 SD - Comments please

Article about: For sale on another forum, seller acknowledges it is scrubbed. Worth going after? If so, what's reasonable? It's in Sweden and would need to come to the US.

Default Scrubbed SS Q66 M40 SD - Comments please

For sale on another forum, seller acknowledges it is scrubbed. Worth going after? If so, what's reasonable? It's in Sweden and would need to come to the US.
    Attached Images Attached Images Scrubbed SS Q66 M40 SD - Comments please  Scrubbed SS Q66 M40 SD - Comments please  Scrubbed SS Q66 M40 SD - Comments please  Scrubbed SS Q66 M40 SD - Comments please  Scrubbed SS Q66 M40 SD - Comments please  Scrubbed SS Q66 M40 SD - Comments please  Scrubbed SS Q66 M40 SD - Comments please  Scrubbed SS Q66 M40 SD - Comments please  Scrubbed SS Q66 M40 SD - Comments please 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Scrubbed SS Q66 M40 SD - Comments please
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Sorry to say, I would not take a leap with these photos. (and needless to say they can not be expanded). Why do they try to tart it up with a camo background? In doing so it visually distracts from the helmet and actually changes the appearance.

The helmet does appear to be scrubbed with remnants of the black (?) over paint still visible. But I still can not determine the actual paint color.

Second and more importantly, we need much better photos of the decal. The graphics are not clear at all and the photo is taken from an angle. From what little I can "guess" the left rune appears to be in line with the "break" and thus closer to a Pocher design than a Q decal where the rune is well below the "break". But with the low quality photos and heavily scrubbed decal I wouldn't be comfortable making a call on originality.

According to Ken N's book, Pocher decals are not unknown on Q helmets but he notes that this was during a short period in 1939. Well before the M40 helmet came out.

Let see what others with more SS decal experience have to say, but for me.......one to pass on with the information and photos provided. But I am just one voice.....
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    Sorry to say, I would not take a leap with these photos. (and needless to say they can not be expanded). Why do they try to tart it up with a camo background? In doing so it visually distracts from the helmet and actually changes the appearance.

The helmet does appear to be scrubbed with remnants of the black (?) over paint still visible. But I still can not determine the actual paint color.

Second and more importantly, we need much better photos of the decal. The graphics are not clear at all and the photo is taken from an angle. From what little I can "guess" the left rune appears to be in line with the "break" and thus closer to a Pocher design than a Q decal where the rune is well below the "break". But with the low quality photos and heavily scrubbed decal I wouldn't be comfortable making a call on originality.

According to Ken N's book, Pocher decals are not unknown on Q helmets but he notes that this was during a short period in 1939. Well before the M40 helmet came out.

Let see what others with more SS decal experience have to say, but for me.......one to pass on with the information and photos provided. But I am just one voice.....
    Here's the actual links I added on my other postings that might help:

Forum discussion: Sorry, you do not have permission for that!

Ad: Sorry, we could not find that!

MAP
    ?

Yes. Better quality photos over there and seems to have been given the ok as well by some guys I respect

They didn't seem to have an issue. But would still like to hear other views on the type of decal. Q or Pocher. I can't see enough
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    Yes. Better quality photos over there and seems to have been given the ok as well by some guys I respect

They didn't seem to have an issue. But would still like to hear other views on the type of decal. Q or Pocher. I can't see enough
    Well if that all checks out, What do you think of the price of 1,799 Euro? Good deal or better off saving for a more pristine one?

If you notice under the rolled edge, there is still the original green paint. So with *careful* doing I think you could expose it. Would that be worth the effort or too risky?