MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

SS DD Thoughts?

Article about: Just picked this up with a pile of other stuff. All the stuff looks good to me but I have never had one of these before so fake is my natural default position. Thanks, Doug

Quote by SSamir View Post
    Leon, in my opinion it was always a double decal SS (judging by the lot number). I'm guessing when the Pocher rune decal was applied, the party shield may have still been good, and there was no need for a new one, but that's just a guess.
    Interesting thought SSamir ,i could go along with that one ,it would explain why the party shield does not have sharp breaks! Leon.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS DD Thoughts?
    P
    Many

?

I also doubt it's a factory re-issue, more like at the depot/field reissue, looks period applied to me.

I also doubt it's a factory re-issue, more like at the depot/field reissue, looks period applied to me.
    I agree SSamir , the inner paint scheme is a perfect match to the outer , it doesn't appear to have been re-worked and then reissued , just the new POCHER applied over the "toned" decal. Leon.

?

I would love to hear Doug's thoughts on this one. This "Q" has caught my attention.

?

Hmmm, usually with a depot/field reissue, you expect to see new paint and new decals, but it still has the original factory finish. Decal could have been applied by the soldier or depot perhaps? This one is getting to be a little bit of a brain twister for me.

It is very, very dark green almost black. You guys need to see anything else? No dome stamp I can seen. I just hated to untie the string to get a picture of the inside stamp. Isn't 2-44 late for a double decal? Could the liner be replaced? Might that be responsible for the name on it? It this the kind of work that went on at a field depot?

I haven't kept a Nazi helmet over the years of collecting. But, this one might be it if it is not worth a ton of money. Doug

I would love to hear Doug's thoughts on this one. This "Q" has caught my attention.
    I must admit that until I noticed the "toned decal" underneath , I was all for single decal SS with post war applied party shield(i.e , making it a faked double decal)!! But as closer examination shows , that's not the case. I'm sure Doug will have some "comparison" helmets in his collection to draw experience from! Leon.

?

Doug (DerKerl), for me its a legit double decal SS. The Pocher rune appears to be period applied, and the wear looks consistant. Where, and by whom it was applied? Not sure, maybe Kelly, DougB, or other highly experienced collectors can clue us in.

Quote by DerKerl View Post
    It is very, very dark green almost black. You guys need to see anything else? No dome stamp I can seen. I just hated to untie the string to get a picture of the inside stamp. Isn't 2-44 late for a double decal? Could the liner be replaced? Might that be responsible for the name on it? It this the kind of work that went on at a field depot?

I haven't kept a Nazi helmet over the years of collecting. But, this one might be it if it is not worth a ton of money. Doug
    Hi Doug , I think it's safe to say you have a helmet worth a "ton of money"! The 2-44 stamping is probably a leather batch number that was on the roll of leather before it was cut and shaped into liners , rather than a date. Leon.

?

It would have been worth more if the original "Q" pattern decal was still present and in good shape. The current Pocher looks tired.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast