Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

SS DD Thoughts?

Article about: Just picked this up with a pile of other stuff. All the stuff looks good to me but I have never had one of these before so fake is my natural default position. Thanks, Doug

?

No worries, Jerry, I understand.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS DD Thoughts?
    P
    Many

Well I have no idea where all that came from! Anyway Doug back to the helmet , the only way we would be able to see if a replacement liner has been sewn into the helmet band would be to have some good clear close ups of the stitching that attaches the leather to the metal band, also the small pins that hold the leather to the band. Leon.

I don't quite understand what you mean. The leather is sewn to a felt strip that folds around the metal band padding the leather. Then there are multiple cheesy metal paper clip kind of things that attach the sewn leather and felt strip to the metal band and are folded back on the inside of the metal band then the folded felt and leather cover the folded metal clips. They would appear to me to of never been moved and there are no extra holes in the leather that would show that it had been removed and reattached. Maybe the whole metal insert, leather and felt were swapped out as a unit but there is no evidence of that either. The paint on the outside clips match the helmet perfectly. I don't have a clue. Doug

Quote by DerKerl View Post
    I don't quite understand what you mean. The leather is sewn to a felt strip that folds around the metal band padding the leather. Then there are multiple cheesy metal paper clip kind of things that attach the sewn leather and felt strip to the metal band and are folded back on the inside of the metal band then the folded felt and leather cover the folded metal clips. They would appear to me to of never been moved and there are no extra holes in the leather that would show that it had been removed and reattached. Maybe the whole metal insert, leather and felt were swapped out as a unit but there is no evidence of that either. The paint on the outside clips match the helmet perfectly. I don't have a clue. Doug
    Hi Doug , thanks for that detailed information. It sounds as though the liner is correct and period to the helmet then. If that is the case we can only assume that somebody thought they would add a little "history" to the helmet by writing a name in it post war as it plainly would not have been re-issued to that rank with these decals still on it! A great looking helmet and a real pleasure to see one of the few double decals that is not a fake. Leon.

?

The liner system is not true to the helmet. That liner system was obviously salvaged from a heer helmet to boost the helmets value. It has a name with a heer rank, and its a size 56, that's two major red flags. No chance of this liner being true to the helmet. I have seen lots of German helmets with missing liner systems, but yet still had the original pins to the helmet.

?

Gents, look very closely. Note the wear and writing are consistent? To me, it's period written by the soldier of the heer. I see no funny business with the hand writing. The liner was clearly salvaged from a heer helmet post war.

SS DD Thoughts?

?

Derkerl your description would be aided by photos of the 3 pins, both the heads and split pins with washers, also as Terry has already asked what is the liner band date? Pics of the "cheesy" pins would be nice as well. Remember Leon there are guys who can swap out a liner and you'd never know.

I must agree with Samir and Terry, this liner is not the factory liner to the helmet from what little is shown. Swapped wartime, postwar, maybe some pictures - as requested - will shed more light on the question as would the liner band date. Leather being 44 it's pretty obvious it's not factory leather.

I heard this described as a holy grail somewhere. It's rare but not a "grail". I've recorded many Q double decal M40 SS, and most are in better condition than this and without the question marks about the liner. As well, Pocher decals over Q on a former SD speak of a field reissue, perhaps this might explain the liner, but it takes much away from the value.

The real money is in a factory mint double decal Q M40 with factory applied Q decals both runic and party with the factory liner and strap. That, my friends is - maybe - a grail to some. This is fairly rare but as a reissue piece and possible messed with liner, not worth a ton of SS helmet dollars.

?

Quote by DougB View Post
    Derkerl your description would be aided by photos of the 3 pins, both the heads and split pins with washers, also as Terry has already asked what is the liner band date? Pics of the "cheesy" pins would be nice as well. Remember Leon there are guys who can swap out a liner and you'd never know.

I must agree with Samir and Terry, this liner is not the factory liner to the helmet from what little is shown. Swapped wartime, postwar, maybe some pictures - as requested - will shed more light on the question as would the liner band date. Leather being 44 it's pretty obvious it's not factory leather.

I heard this described as a holy grail somewhere. It's rare but not a "grail". I've recorded many Q double decal M40 SS, and most are in better condition than this and without the question marks about the liner. As well, Pocher decals over Q on a former SD speak of a field reissue, perhaps this might explain the liner, but it takes much away from the value.

The real money is in a factory mint double decal Q M40 with factory applied Q decals both runic and party with the factory liner and strap. That, my friends is - maybe - a grail to some. This is fairly rare but as a reissue piece and possible messed with liner, not worth a ton of SS helmet dollars.
    The profit of the SS helmets has spoken!

"I rest my case, your honor. I have no further questions".

A slight faux pas - That's 'Prophet'.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    A slight faux pas - That's 'Prophet'.........!
    LOL! I stand corrected. My excitement got the best of me.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast