Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

SS DD Thoughts?

Article about: Just picked this up with a pile of other stuff. All the stuff looks good to me but I have never had one of these before so fake is my natural default position. Thanks, Doug

I would be happy to send this to you so you could see for your self whatever you need to. I am thinking that someone who was trying to upgrade the helmet for collectors value (that I didn't pay any where close to) should of known the rank deal going on here. I have seen many complete liners available out there that would of been a much better fit. Now, In my 50 years of collecting related stuff I am no expert in this specific area. I can't imagine what the heck was going on here with the liner, name and rank. But it is just the way I got it from a gun shop that ended up with a pile of stuff from a vets stash. They fixated on the guns and let me have the other stuff cheap. Doug
    Quote by DougB View Post
    Derkerl your description would be aided by photos of the 3 pins, both the heads and split pins with washers, also as Terry has already asked what is the liner band date? Pics of the "cheesy" pins would be nice as well. Remember Leon there are guys who can swap out a liner and you'd never know.

I must agree with Samir and Terry, this liner is not the factory liner to the helmet from what little is shown. Swapped wartime, postwar, maybe some pictures - as requested - will shed more light on the question as would the liner band date. Leather being 44 it's pretty obvious it's not factory leather.

I heard this described as a holy grail somewhere. It's rare but not a "grail". I've recorded many Q double decal M40 SS, and most are in better condition than this and without the question marks about the liner. As well, Pocher decals over Q on a former SD speak of a field reissue, perhaps this might explain the liner, but it takes much away from the value.

The real money is in a factory mint double decal Q M40 with factory applied Q decals both runic and party with the factory liner and strap. That, my friends is - maybe - a grail to some. This is fairly rare but as a reissue piece and possible messed with liner, not worth a ton of SS helmet dollars.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS DD Thoughts?
    P
    Many

?

Quote by DerKerl View Post
    I would be happy to send this to you so you could see for your self whatever you need to. I am thinking that someone who was trying to upgrade the helmet for collectors value (that I didn't pay any where close to) should of known the rank deal going on here. I have seen many complete liners available out there that would of been a much better fit. Now, In my 50 years of collecting related stuff I am no expert in this specific area. I can't imagine what the heck was going on here with the liner, name and rank. But it is just the way I got it from a gun shop that ended up with a pile of stuff from a vets stash. They fixated on the guns and let me have the other stuff cheap. Doug
    I just want to make one thing clear. I am not saying it is you who swapped the liner, but the individual who sold you the helmet. Sorry for any misunderstanding.

?

Quote by DerKerl View Post
    Hi Derkerl, there is really no need to send it anywhere as I believe the simple photos requested and your reading and posting the liner band date would more than suffice.

Question is, did someone replace or install a liner and/or leather into the helmet postwar or was it part of a field or depot refit wartime? And that question may not be answered 100% accurately. I think its pretty evident that the liner however is not the period liner and that may be all people need to know, assuming you are selling said helmet.

But I wouldn't assume someone would automatically know what the correct liner size is for a 66. If it fit pretty good, so be it. Seen plenty of postwar liners like this in helmets. As for someone knowing the rank as non-SS, I would think some guy would not even pick that up unless he knows what SS ranks are. A lot of helmets were simply restored with no care for what is correct or accurate. It was as simple as "lets stuff this liner in this here helmet and see if she fits....yupp, fits real good." And thats that. No malice intended whatsoever, it just happened that way, who knows.

Samir, Profit vs Prophet, thats actually pretty funny. Especially given the circumstances LOL.
    Last edited by DougB; 09-06-2013 at 07:06 AM.

?

Quote by DougB View Post
    Samir, Profit vs Prophet, thats actually pretty funny. Especially given the circumstances LOL.
    Doug, did I butcher that one, or what? LMFAO!

?

DerKerl, I think I had enough of this topic, and to bring this to a close, i'm no greaseball, nor am I trying to bust your chops. I want to see you get top dollor for your find. I'm just the type of person that if I see something that's not right, I will speak my mind. It's the right thing to do. Big bucks are involved here, and I want the buyer to know what he/she is buying. I don't want to see anyone being misled. It's a mind field out there with the worst conniving individuals, and we should look out for each other, if we don't, the fakers and the BS artist will get an edge on us. Good luck with your sale.

Regards
    Samir

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Hi Doug , thanks for that detailed information. It sounds as though the liner is correct and period to the helmet then. If that is the case we can only assume that somebody thought they would add a little "history" to the helmet by writing a name in it post war as it plainly would not have been re-issued to that rank with these decals still on it! A great looking helmet and a real pleasure to see one of the few double decals that is not a fake. Leon.
    Hi DougB and SSamir , I only mean given this information that it sounds correct and period to the helmet with an "addition" of writing. As the other Doug seems reluctant to give us anymore images it just seemed a bit pointless to me , to keep on telling him that the liner is a replacement(which I personally am 100% confident is the case) when he has convinced himself that it is untouched and correct.I will say that I think it was replaced a long time ago though so in Dougs defence , it may well have built up a good deal of age patina. Leon.

?

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    ... As the other Doug seems reluctant to give us anymore images it just seemed a bit pointless to me , to keep on telling him that the liner is a replacement(
    I find most of this thread pointless.

If the price was right I would be honoured to have this in my collection, liner not withstanding it is still a great lid IMO.

Well that was a very interesting read!!!

?

Price is a relative term.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast