Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

SS Double Runic Rarity

Article about: have been stoked to see this one hit the Wall o' Helmets! It arrived earlier this week and I was just floored taking this one out of the box. The condition of this helmet is a perfect cross

Default Re: SS Double Runic Rarity

That thing is incredible mate, just spectacular!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Double Runic Rarity
    P
    Many

Very nice helmet Doug!

What a beautiful helmet. Truly the stuff dreams are made of! Well done Doug

These are my favorite TR helmets. The first one I ever saw in hand was one of the examples in the Hicks/Beaver book, now owned by C. Jones. That one was sourced by a dealer in up state New York who sold it , AND the single decal snow camo also in that book named to a war correspondent, and now also owned by C. Jones, to the same collector. Both helmets came in the same box, and when my buddy opened the box he almost stroked out! Ultimately, Chris acquired both of those helmets. I have held 3 other DR SS helmets over the years, and was lucky enough to acquire one of those. This one is just super. 1rst SS LAH? We all are just blown away. Nice pick up Doug. Conrat's, m G.

?

I know both those helmets and I would love to see them in hand Jim. They are amazing! I've picked up a couple beauties from C.J. but he won't part with either of the ones you mention LOL. I will post up a compilation shot of all my Double Runics for you Jim, just for you!
    Thanks for the compliments guys, I thought everyone would enjoy seeing this one.

( Glenn, there is a reason my signature says I am selling some helmets off )

?

I know very little about helmets but I know when I see one that is as rare as hen's teeth! That has got to be the rarest helmet variant out there, surely?
    A privilege to see it Doug, thank you for posting.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Quote by DougB View Post
    Thanks for the kind words gents. You know the cool thing with this hobby is every time you think you've seen it all something like this pops from the woodwork or buried in an oooold collection like this one was and you just have to have it. This one will stay on the shelf a very long time.

This is classic Pocher decals not EF. EF didn't produce a known SS decal till the M40 and Hicks has the only one known, and he won't sell! :-(

Still, the only 4 EF double decal factory applied SS decals known are all CA Pochers which look very similar to EF, and Pochers were the non factory decal of choice for the SS during this time frame.
    They do look very similar. I thought that the right was a factory EF and the left was a Pocher. haha

?

Quote by Adrian View Post
    I know very little about helmets but I know when I see one that is as rare as hen's teeth! That has got to be the rarest helmet variant out there, surely?
    A privilege to see it Doug, thank you for posting.
    Thanks Adrian. Actually one of these is the rarest SS helmet in existence (in my humble opinion). Austrian transitional SS VT or TV with the mirror runic decals or the M35 ET with Fat Runes attributed to the earliest combat formations of the LAH Regiment. Only 1 known of the mirror runic and only 5 known of the M35 Fat Runes. But a factory SS M35 EF converted to a Double Runic, well thats right up there.

Attachment 238387

Attachment 238389

Attachment 238388

Attachment 238390

?

Doug what's the feeling on the origin of the mirror runic decals aprt from the amazing one you have posted , the only contemporary photo i've seen of it it wear is the one of SS Sturmbrigade Langemarck Ritterekreuztrager Remy Schrijnen ?

cheers

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

I don't know the answer to that question Paul. I feel they are tied somehow to the foreign volunteer aspect. Of note and great interest is the mirror runic collar tabs photographed and published I think in the Mollo books. This helmet surfaced many decades ago in the US. The pattern is identical to the Pocher, but in reverse of course.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast