Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

SS EF M42 Full Winter Camo named to SS Sch Kohl

Article about: Wow!

?

Default SS EF M42 Full Winter Camo named to SS Sch Kohl

It is one of helmet collecting's holy grail's, a true SS winter camo with an almost full winter whitewash application still intact with natural age and patina. It is an EF66 M42 SS lot number as far as I can read it 1531 with a well worn strap original to the helmet which I acquired about a year ago. The helmet is one of but 2 or 3 winter whitewash SS helmets that I believe to be period, and is nicely named to SS Sch. Kohl, Sch being the rank Schutze. The helmet is being researched right now and hoping I get a match as we have a rank and the Schutze would be from a unit which fought on the western front in late 44 early 45 presumably in or near the Battle of the Bulge vs the Americans as the helmet is a New York veteran bring back.

Between having my entire photographic setup rigged for the lighting in my old war room, and having to change the settings to the new lighting in the new room, combined with an off white paint, this helmet was by far the most difficult helmet that I have ever photographed. I have literally spent the entire afternoon shooting, reshooting, and reshooting some more till I felt it was good enough to post. (Please no crashes tonight!!!)

To bring out in photos what it looks like in hand is almost impossible. What you will see below is as close as I can get it but as you know white is almost impossible to correctly photograph and show its true "in hand" appearance in a photograph. I think those who have handled this helmet will agree this is pretty close.

Even with a good hit in the centre of the decal, it is a textbook EF decal as found on EF M42 helmets factory applied, and was clearly masked off during the whitewash application. Some white may have run into the decal or it received more white application that ran into some recessed areas of the damaged area of the decal but not consistent nor does it show any evidence of being liberated.

The whitewash shows clear signs of age and patina and wear in all the right places. Thanks to MN for letting me know when this one came available.

Enjoy an extremely rare helmet, one of the Holy Grail's, at least for me

Attachment 198487
    Attachment 198500
    Attachment 198501
    Attachment 198503
    Attachment 198504
    Attachment 198506
    Attachment 198498
    Attachment 198497
    Attachment 198493
    Attachment 198494

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS EF M42 Full Winter Camo named to SS Sch Kohl
    P
    Many

Default Re: SS EF M42 Full Winter Camo named to SS Sch Kohl

Thanks for showing Doug truley the holy grail indeed.

Eric

Great Helmet. Thanks for posting.

?

The one thing i look forward to on this forum is when you post a helmet Doug, another beauty, im heading off to the "Bulge" in May, what do you think my chances are of finding one just like it in a barn or loft somewhere, i would put them at my going to the moon before Xmas

Absolute stunner! pretty much the top of the mountain right there

?

What a jewel.
    SteveR

Oh my lord this is my dream helmet.

Thanks for posting this Doug. You're saving it for me right?

... I'm serious

?

Thanks for the compliments gents. This one is a special one and one of two SS winter camos (not camo remnants) that I believe to be real. I honestly didn't believe i would ever own one they are so rare. But of all my helmets it is maybe my favourite one, true blue combat veteran. PS the liner damage is caused by bloodstaining, the liner in this corner is hard, blackened and brittle hence the broken tongue. Poor Sch. Kohl had a bad day it seems, I really hope he survived and the research yields a positive result.

?

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    Oh my lord this is my dream helmet.

Thanks for posting this Doug. You're saving it for me right?

... I'm serious
    Start saving......I'm serious. (lol)
    Seriously this one will leave the collection at some point in time but I honestly cannot see that point in time right now nor any sum of money that would tear her loose, or even another top SS helmet or even three in trade, it is that rare and that special in this collectors estimation.

If I was ever to acquire the other SS winter camo I like, then maybe.....maybe....mmmmmaybe (LOL)

Thanks for the compliment, the mere fact that someone would want to own a helmet I own is high praise indeed and appreciated collector to collector, cheers mate.
    Doug

?

what a beauty, i really hope the lad survived the war too, please keep us informed on your progress in research doug, regards,george w

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast