Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

SS Helmet

Article about: I'm pretty new to this forum and should mention I know pretty much nothing about German militaria. That being said I thought I would share some pictures of my Grandpa's helmet. My Grandpa wa

Default Re: SS Helmet

Cheers Ade, Just had a quick read, that sounds really good, feel better now, had this vision of them knocking the whole place down and replacing it with some modern buiding similar to the one in Manchester, i have not been even though its only up the road, but i have heard its not that good , will have to make a donation to the IWM

The pictures are realy good !

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Helmet
    P
    Many

?

Looking forward to visiting the IWM in 2014 now!

Quote by DougB View Post
    Looking forward to visiting the IWM in 2014 now!
    Doug, if you come over, we should all try and get together down there for a glass of orange juice ! Be great to meet the guru !!!

hey if i ever make it back there ill have a pint or two with ya love british pubs ha ha ill hunt you all down for a beer. same both ways.

Interesting that the British military were and are prevented from bringing back souvenirs. A mate of mine was in the Falklands and the first Gulf war and had to surrender his keepsakes as it was against regulations apparantly.

For us collectors we should be extremely grateful to the sticky fingered and souvenir hungry US military.

?

Quote by Totenhead View Post
    Doug, if you come over, we should all try and get together down there for a glass of orange juice ! Be great to meet the guru !!!
    Will be there in July 2013! Maybe we can arrange a meet of collectors in London Town!

the reason why my grandpar got away with keeping the stuff he got, is that he said to the old man that there was no way they where going to check all the guys on the boats comming back. and after being in the army for 12years befor the war, i think he knew how the cogs worked. my great grandpar brought back a german helmet and a iron cross to, from ww1 he gave the iron cross to my uncle and he said it fell out of the sky. but we dont have them items anymore. i so wish i did. but ive just found out the germans did throw them out of planes in ww1 or copys. i hope i havent upset the guy who posted his helmet on this thread so i will say agian a realy nice ss helmet you have there and you are very lucky to have been given it. a lot of the guys that came back from the war or wars threw or there wives threw that type of stuff out after the war. like my grandmar and great grand parents.

My Godfather also told me stories of guys returning home by ship. Officers at the
    top of the ramp would search through bags and toss anything they found
    'offensive' overboard.........
    Regards,

Steve.

i wounder why the army dident like it. would it be that,as you wrote it was offensive.?

I suppose it was deemed as contraband. I'm sure there were plenty
    of Officers who came away with great things. U.S. soldiers were
    known for 'liberating' all sorts of items.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast