Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SS helmet

Article about: Well, i thought i'd throw my helmet on here to hopefully generate some feedback. You guys always have some definite opinions about anything SS. I've had this a few years, and love it. it's a

Default SS helmet

Well, i thought i'd throw my helmet on here to hopefully generate some feedback. You guys always have some definite opinions about anything SS. I've had this a few years, and love it. it's a large size with no visable markings on the shell. The liner is very stiff and marked B & C Litzmannstadt 1944 (i think). also very rusty. The wear is mostly on top where there is a hole worn through. Measurements on decal seem correct, also has nice metalic glint. Purchased for $200. I'd be heartbroke if you told me it was wrong, but I think I can take it.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS helmet   SS helmet  

SS helmet   SS helmet  

SS helmet   SS helmet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS helmet
    P
    Many

Default Re: SS helmet

Sorry mate its looking all wrong to me , cheers Raymond

Forgive me if i am wrong but it appears to have the runes of a 1st pattern and a shield of a 2nd?

Someone please correct me if i am wrong. I'm trying to learn and i have not studied rune decals enough in detail.

rgrd's Ty

TY , The runes are first patten runes , the sheild is wrong as i think its to rounded at the bottom and i think the boarder is wrong . The shell has had alot of its original paint chipped away by natural wear , but to me looks like its been sprayed or painted over , it also has what looks to me like heavy rust pitting in places again painted over ,and you can see where the decals have been applied directly over these areas,and on the rune sheild you can see the rust starting to bleed threw the decal , the last thing is the liner ,to me it looks like a norwegain liner ,just my opinon , it would be good if some of our other more experenced members in this field could cast there views , i to are still learning ,cheers Raymond

I agree it's been painted over the heavy rust spots/pitting. The liner does not come close to matching the shell condition and does appear the Norwegain but the color may be from the lighting and angle.

Come on! Where are the experts when you need them

Ty

That rounded rune shield base always bothered me too. Also that rust bleeding through is recent. Thanks for the feedback, guys. I guess I always had my doubts. Boo, hoo hoo.....

Quote by PHILBROWN View Post
    no disrespect guys, but you dont need to be sherlock to solve this one
    Well, i don't know enough that is exactly why i asked the question about the shield.

We are not as educated in this field as you Phil

?

Quote by kungfuty View Post
    We are not as educated in this field as you Phil
    when did that happen

Before buying any SS helmet invest in a copy of "SS Steel " by Kelly Hicks. Also build up a photo database of both good and bad decals. Then finally if you are still not sure, ask for advice here before you buy.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Ade is right get a good book, apart from Hicks a good first book is Goodapple and Weinand they even give the size and dimensions of the decal, runes,eagles etc it was my first helmet book and i still use it now , i couldn't afford Ludwig Bauers book The History of the German Steel Helmet at the time !!!

The round bottomed decals are a classic and unmissable fake once you know about them
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast