Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

SS helmet camo cover - is it original?

Article about: Hi gents, Just happened to come across this today, the seller cannot guarantee authenticity with 100% certainty so I was hoping that those of you knowledgeable in this field might be able to

?

Default SS helmet camo cover - is it original?

Hi gents,

Just happened to come across this today, the seller cannot guarantee authenticity with 100% certainty so I was hoping that those of you knowledgeable in this field might be able to shed some light. I know these are rare as hen's teeth and the chance of coming across a genuine example is pretty remote but thought it might be worth a look.

Any thoughts/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Aleks

SS helmet camo cover - is it original?SS helmet camo cover - is it original?SS helmet camo cover - is it original?SS helmet camo cover - is it original?SS helmet camo cover - is it original?SS helmet camo cover - is it original?SS helmet camo cover - is it original?SS helmet camo cover - is it original?SS helmet camo cover - is it original?SS helmet camo cover - is it original?SS helmet camo cover - is it original?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS helmet camo cover - is it original?
    P
    Many

?

To me , the condition of the worn spring clips dont match the condition of the actual cover, theres no fraying at all, no stretch marks on the visor insert, nor edging marks where the metal would rub against the cloth,almost like its a completely unissued piece, or a newly contrived cover, wait for more comments as these are notorious to judge from just photos, personally i would say replica, but others may have a different viewpoint

?

Looks like a zeltbahne made cover, not an original in my estimation.

?

Thanks for your input gents - Doug I see what you mean about the material. Any other obvious red flags?

Out of interest what type of material were the original camo covers made of?

Cheers,

Aleks

The very fact that the seller couldn't guarantee the authenticity of the item should be enough to warn you away. Some seller's use this ruse as a clever ploy to sell items which they know to be fake to collectors. When they say to you; "I can't be 100% sure about this" they are actually planting in your mind the thought that it could actually be genuine. Whereas if they told you it was repro you probably wouldn't touch it.

?

Quote by alekss View Post
    Thanks for your input gents - Doug I see what you mean about the material. Any other obvious red flags?

Out of interest what type of material were the original camo covers made of?

Cheers,

Aleks
    The same as zeltbahne, a sort of duck cloth that turns near black when wet and becomes water resistant. It's what makes SS covers such a minefield as zelts can be cut up and made into SS covers and can be near perfect. The sewing is uneven between the two rows and the clips don't match the lack of wear. Also The lack of small nips and tugs to the material. I'm no expert, Owen (Kammoman) could write books on the stuff.

?

Thanks Doug, appreciate the info.

Cheers,

Aleks