MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Is this SS Helmet in the Classified for real???

Article about: I sincerely hope no one bought it!! Sam - - Updated - - We should have had someone get his bank information and pretend to be a buyer. At least we could have had justice!! Sam

?

Default Re: Is this SS Helmet in the Classified for real???

Wagriff,

Been away from the forum all day, and just checking in now. So while I do check the classifieds because this is a global forum on different time zones and moderators of these sections do have lives amd jobs that pay their living, this is why your plan youve suggested doesn't work. If someone in Australia or England is scamming and posts a fake I won't see it for 8-10 hours maybe more if I am away. So this forum relies on the community to screen the classifieds and from what I see in the helmet sections it seems to work.

On GHW you cannot access the for sale section as buyer or seller till you've reached veteran status. That really works at keeping the riff raff out. But it's a different forum with different rules so whatever works right?

Either way a crap helmet that nobody should have bought without posting first anyway. And we do have an SS decal section here, ;-).

Anyone checking that first should have serious concerns....

Doug

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Is this SS Helmet in the Classified for real???
    P
    Many

Good to see that this one was noticed by Sam and brought to the members attention by him and that swift and decisive action was taken by the mods. This is the best way to stop this kind of thing from happening. Start a thread on it, no harm in that and if the item turns out to be good, then it just means it got a wider viewing and will have passed muster and that can only be good for all concerned and if it is bad, as in this case, everyone will know.

Well done Sam.

PS if anyone is interested in my triple decal AH knickers PM me?
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Hmm..that's true-the time zone differences. Well then, would it be possible, say, to have listings Held until approved? Put into a queue, awaiting approval? If a person wants to list an item, they could submit them to the examiner who could then either approve or disapprove and if passed, put up for sale? Of course, it would mean to sell an item, would entail a possible 8 hour delay, but this shouldn't be a major problem.
    It just seems to me that there should be a workable solution to these ripoff people. Sure, we have the resources here to check and double check anything we pretty much need, but, let's face it-most people just don't want to deal with the effort of doing so. If they Did, then, theoretically, there should very rarely if ever be any posts of "real or not?" here. One thing I do know, though, is that with the intellectual brainpower on this site, there Has to be a way to neutralize the ripoffs and make dealing here safe. If this could be done-and I believe that it can be-then the prestige and reputation of this Forum would be absolutely assured.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Quote by Normandie View Post
    Did anyone contact the dealer... what if you guys just banned an guy that was trying to sell an german helmet with fake decals?
    and maybe the guy didn't have any experience with german helmets?
    I contacted him or her via pm , not surprsingly i got no answer !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Shocking, Paul....
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by Bond View Post
    Start a thread on it, no harm in that and if the item turns out to be good, then it just means it got a wider viewing and will have passed muster and that can only be good for all concerned and if it is bad, as in this case, everyone will know.
    I must admit and I have said this time and time again, if in doubt or you do not have the experience please start a thread and get an opinion first, whether from the classifieds, from a dealer, pics someone has sent you, if in doubt ask that way will you stand a much less chance of getting ripped off
    Ben

Its great to have guys like you on the case, to prevent newbies like me getting dusted!! Thanks in advance

?

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Hmm..that's true-the time zone differences. Well then, would it be possible, say, to have listings Held until approved? Put into a queue, awaiting approval? If a person wants to list an item, they could submit them to the examiner who could then either approve or disapprove and if passed, put up for sale? Of course, it would mean to sell an item, would entail a possible 8 hour delay, but this shouldn't be a major problem.
    It just seems to me that there should be a workable solution to these ripoff people. Sure, we have the resources here to check and double check anything we pretty much need, but, let's face it-most people just don't want to deal with the effort of doing so. If they Did, then, theoretically, there should very rarely if ever be any posts of "real or not?" here. One thing I do know, though, is that with the intellectual brainpower on this site, there Has to be a way to neutralize the ripoffs and make dealing here safe. If this could be done-and I believe that it can be-then the prestige and reputation of this Forum would be absolutely assured.
    Hi William, I have no idea if the technical ability of the forum is capable of that. Somehow I do not think an entire forum section is able to be put on a post preview only individual members. This is why at GHW we use member status to be the determining factor. The member must prove him or herself first before they can access certain sections. Like I said it keeps the riff raff away.

The other problem is then moderators are basically responsible for providing a forum backed COA with my name behind it on anything sold. I won't do that. 90% of the sellers pics are garbage to be honest. That's the first thing. Second, is if you've read my threads on SS an in hand is absolutely mandatory thus all I will offer is an opinion based on photos provided. Some posted are one look real ones but nobody can provide a guarantee based upon pics alone. Finally relics are so often humped up I won't touch them.

So if you buy a helmet here thinking moderators have previewed everything, and you find out 3 years later when your going to sell youve bought a fake and your seller won't refund, you wont be too happy with the forum or the mods who've previewed it.

I think how this forum deals with classifieds seems to work. It's based upon a couple premises as far as I can tell. One, post before you buy, and two, if a collector sees something suspicious they report it to the moderators.

So that seems to work.

Cheers
    Doug

?

I can only concur with Doug. We all have to police the Classifieds section. That is why i sometimes post items, especially SS, that i am not even interested in buying.

Regards, Lars

Doug has stated a perfectly sound case on the subject. As a moderator, I check areas in the classifieds that I feel comfortable with reviewing. I also have no problem giving my opinion as to the authenticity of an item. As Doug so elequently put it, most posted photos are poor and only so much can be determined from a photograph. There is no substitute for experience and accumulated knowledge. As with many older collectors, that knowledge was aquired by being stung at times.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast