Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

View Poll Results: CLASSIFIEDS - SHOULD GOLD MEMBERSHIP BE A REQUIREMENT TO SELL?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES - with at least 25 non-superfluous posts

13 27.66%
  • YES - with at least 50 non-superfluous posts

18 38.30%
  • YES - But no required posts of any kind

4 8.51%
  • NO

12 25.53%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

SS Helmet, and Decal?

Article about: Since this is not my area of study, I would appreciate if you would voice your opinions of the decal on this helmet now for sale in our classifieds. German SS Helmet - Militaria Collectibles

Guys,

Melissa from Dovetail Home has contacted me and has told me of her appreciation concerning the "protection" of our members. She also stated that she will be supplying more images of the helmet and its decals over the course of the next day or so.

I have to say that I condone her for her candor and truly believe that she and her business is "on the level" - unlike many, if not most of the "one post wonders" that solicit here.

However, the poll and my opinions still apply to the subject emphasized in this thread.

Many thanks to all.

Cheers,
    Richie
    Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Helmet, and Decal?
    P
    Many

Thank you to Richie for his kind post.

Hello Everyone,
    We are auction gallery owners and do not personally collect military items. Out of all the antiques we sell, it is the subject we are least knowledgeable in. When this helmet was brought in to our gallery with a $2000.00 auction minimum, we posted it on this site in good faith hoping it to be real. The consignor is a well known local collector whom we believed when he said it was real (he may have been fooled himself). We sell all our items live so that everyone bidding in the gallery has the right to inspect the item personally. People on the phone or bidding through absentee bids usually call and request further pictures and information until they are satisfied. No shady online deals here, I promise! We are definitely on the level and are not out to hurt anyone, it would kill our good, honest reputation. I can certainly understand everyone's reservations on the subject and appreciate your input. Sorry if we came across as shady!
    Thanks so much.
    Melissa

P.S. We love our little Cairn Terrier so thanks to the person who thought she was cute!

Thank you Melissa. Speaking for myself and perhaps all of the members here - WELCOME!

Kindly consider my offer of becoming a Gold member. It is truly worth it. I can not even begin to list all it's benefits...

Regards,
    Richie

Quote by Melissa View Post
    P.S. We love our little Cairn Terrier so thanks to the person who thought she was cute!
    That person was Big Ned - I am certain that you will get to know him well soon enough...

Thank you, Richie and Big Ned. We will consider the Gold membership as it would probably benefit us with our new military items.

Thanks!
    Melissa and Nick too..

Quote by Melissa View Post
    When this helmet was brought in to our gallery with a $2000.00 auction minimum, we posted it on this site in good faith hoping it to be real. The consignor is a well known local collector whom we believed when he said it was real (he may have been fooled himself)
    Some of the most seasoned and surgically sharp members here are on this forum..and are at your service. It would be best if there are any doubts or reservations as stated above to post the item here on the forum first..for discussion and review...9 times out of 10..the classifieds are the last stop for any item for sale..and always with our members..they watch the classifieds for new entries. In the business of historical investments ( Here ) 1 opinion should never be taken as truth..2nd opinions..or more are to protect a huge lump sum of money about to leave ones pocket. The WRF is a site of historical collectors and will give the best precise answer to any inquiries,, You came to the right place..we see more than just the items themselves..we also hear the stories that go with them.

The WRF is at your service...please enjoy your stay here. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Larry,
    Thank you for the very nice post and welcome! I will take your advice in this and on other collectors forums. I really learned something about participating in forums appropriately tonight. Thank you so much!
    Melissa

Welcome Melissa!
    Sorry that I had to be the one to bring this helmet to the attention of the whole forum in this manner. Since I noticed that you were a new member with zero posts, and seeing your first was putting an SS helmet up for sale, that is usually a bad sign. Usually that means that someone is trying to scam someone else out of a lot of pocket change. We have some of the more knowledgeable members here that are always willing to help out newer collectors or someone that inherits militaria items that they know nothing about.
    I hope you decide that we may be of some service to you in the future and continue to visit our forum.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

MAP
    ?

I view this question of Gold members only to post in the classified section as being a tricky one. For expediency, it is the simplest way to resolve the problem to minimize fraudsters (not judging this helmet). That said I was wondering if this would limit the selection of items being offered. It is a delicate balance. I guess we would all like to see what is out there but don't want to be come a dumping ground . And, as Ned jokingly pointed out....it's nice to be the first one to spot a gem at a great price! Plus I've seen members very quickly call out fakes and have also seen some members ask for opinions on items in the classified section.

I'm torn as to the best approach (to be clear I've voted for Gold Membership with 25 posts). I don't pretend to know the best solution but thought I would just highlight the above.

I for one am trying hard to improve myself and knowledge by buying (and actually reading them) books, reading threads and studying responses but have not yet built up the base to be confident enough to buy over the "net", and thus restrict myself to a small circle of trusted local friends...but I just thought I would offer a different (maybe) viewpoint

With all due respect,

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Hi Mellisa & welcome,

Sorry about the "Dirty Harry" comment. Theres big money involved with SS helmets and where there's big money, there's schemers, and there's lots of them in the SS game. For those who know me know I'm a quiet guy and never get into trouble. Again, sorry.

Regards
    Samir

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast