Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Ss helmet....need opinions on this

Article about: I really hate to bring up an old topic back up, but I recently joined the SS "bandwagon" and have been doing some research on the ole trans SS lids and yes, Tom, the "mirror&q

Default Re: Ss helmet....need opinions on this

Looks like there is another decal behind the SS decal!? Am I right?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Ss helmet....need opinions on this
    P
    Many

ian
    ?

Dan hi well im not realy sure what i see ther mate , id like to say that the decals are fake ,becouse i see a cleer 1/8th edge on them (typical af a water decal) but im indecisive , i just dont know ,but iether way i think its one of the best trancitional lids ive ever seen (decals to one side here )
    cheers ian
    iether that or its a very good fake ,but i realy think the lid is a good one ,AND wouldnt it be wonderfull if the decals were good as well? but i dont believe so? you know when they say to good to be true ?

?

Ian, at first i was doubting thomas on this one, but i bow to the more informed members on this forum, but then i started to ask myself questions anf tried to be logical, for a person to fake one decal and an extremely authentic looking one would require a fair modicom of skill, to try and fool all the experts out there they would have to be very confident in their ability , there are very good decals on the market even real ones which could have been applied, but they chose this particular extremely rare one to put up for scrutiny, not to mention the initial cost to produce a one off decal, all this said i am believing this to be the real deal and if so you have a lid that collectors would give their right arm for, i think that you should take this helmet to the Imperial war museum and ask the researchers and curators to authenticate its originality

ian
    ?

dave --- here here well said , its so hard to say , i realy want to get excited and say yea wow , but i just dont know , this one realy has to be given in hand to many diferent exsperts to be assesd , its just well i dont know , i realy realy like it BUT i just dont know cheers ian
    i still like the lid itself and the apple green looks right for its age to me
    Last edited by ian; 04-26-2010 at 11:36 PM.

Guys you are living in a fantasy world if you think a Helmet with a back to front decal could be real.It would have been destroyed when first made and never released.They are the wrong shape at the bottom and too close to the rivets.I like the Helmet but did they use M16's as a transitional type? Lets face it there are very close colours to apple green too and it goes dark with age even on later Helmets such as the M35.

Give it a miss mate and stay in the real world

ian
    ?

hi Tom well mate i just dont know one way or the other so im gonna keep my options open on this one , its 6 and two 3s at the moment ???? we may be suprised -then we mabe disapionted , lets give it time and see , IMO cheers ian
    and i still like the lid its self and the apple green looks good for its age , i think its a goodan , its realy only the decals , but lets see what others have to say

There were REAL Mirror Runic decals. I went back and checked the Beaver/Hicks book and there is an example in it, attributed to Billy Shea. Not a reverse decal example, but definitely Mirror Runes on it. I also seem to recall that there is a period picture of a mirror runic decaled helmet being worn by a foreign volunteer in the Ludwig Baer book (I think it was on an M40), so these decals did exist. I hope that this one is real, and echo the others who urge you to get it looked at by the experts. Again, good luck with it, Jim G.

ian
    ?

Jim i agree totaly ,,it just could be !!! i think it must be checked out ,the decals (look right ) for what they are ,ok wrong sides and mirrerd BUT ??? well worth having checked out ,nothing to loos cheers ian

Well lets just say that BOOKS are not always right and neither are the experts.I would rather disregard an item than spend my whole life asking myself "is it real".Stick to the real stuff as its far better to own and let the fantasy items go forthwith i say.Touch'e

Tom

ian
    ?

well does the damage on the ss decal show metalic signes ?? other than that it will have to be assesed by the men who know ,, i wait with bated breath , ill put my neck on the line and say i think its , right , its just to rare to fake , we will see as time goes ,cheers ian

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast