Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

SS Helmet for review...

Article about: Hi all. I'd like opinions on this SS helmet. The helmet itself looks fine, but it obvious underwent (at some point, possibly period?) a repaint from desert tan to black. The interior shows t

?

Default SS Helmet for review...

Hi all.

I'd like opinions on this SS helmet. The helmet itself looks fine, but it obvious underwent (at some point, possibly period?) a repaint from desert tan to black. The interior shows the tan color while the exterior shows the black (and what appear to be some paint runs). I do know that German helmets were indeed repainted from desert camo back to the original color - I have a Luftwaffe helmet in my collection that was field repainted from desert back to the standard gray. I assume the decals will tell all. While I don't have a good photo of the maker stamp, I can at least make out that the stamp begins with an "ET".

SS Helmet for review...

SS Helmet for review...

SS Helmet for review...

SS Helmet for review...

SS Helmet for review...

SS Helmet for review...

SS Helmet for review...

Thanks!
    Dzyner

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Helmet for review...
    P
    Many

?

ive never seen a helmet thats been deemed legit with runes this thin

Hi Dzyner,

I agree with Gimmie - the decals look very bad. Admittedly what I have seen is mainly from resource books and the internet - but I've not seen any legitimate decals like these.
    Also it looks like the liner has been messed with?
    In fact the whole helmet looks like it has been played about with.

Other folk will be along soon to confirm / deny.

Nick

Post war paint and decals from my view.
    Morris

Looks to me possibly a "theatrical" helmet post war painted black & decaled maybe for a movie set. Just a guess. The inside paint color, maybe this was issued to another foreign country..Spain maybe ? But not German.

The perforations in the liner at the forehead area...are they random for ventilation or do they look to have any significance such as size,date,initials, etc.etc. ? Color of the liner is odd also, though maybe the lighting. Thought maybe dyed for export to Norway but not the familiar reddish tint they dyed them in normally encountered.

Since you read "ET" on the inner shell, it's probably an ET 66 being there are over 8 1/2 almost 9 liner fingers which are seen on 66 & 68 CM sized shells, don't think it's a 68 due to the shape
    Last edited by real steel; 11-30-2017 at 09:23 PM.

Hi, sadly not an original SS helmet, looks like an ET M35 Norwegian re-issue to me that has been over painted black then had fake decals applied. Leon.

?

Thanks for the great feedback everyone! Much appreciated!