Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

SS Helmet for Review

Article about: Could you gentlemen please have a look at this Helmet? I believe it to be original. I don't think the counterfeits are this good yet. It is from the Kharkov region in the Ukraine. The lot nu

?

Default SS Helmet for Review

Could you gentlemen please have a look at this Helmet? I believe it to be original. I don't think the counterfeits are this good yet. It is from the Kharkov region in the Ukraine. The lot number is 4905 difficult to see in the photo. The size is ET66. Thanks!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Helmet for Review   SS Helmet for Review  

SS Helmet for Review   SS Helmet for Review  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Helmet for Review
    P
    Many

TWS
    ?

Not a decal expert, so let's wait for those with more expertise to chime in about that. However the liner color is off. Could very well be from damp storage. Condition of the steel isn't to the point of ground dug condition, but the corrosion looks like a barn or cellar find. The last battle of Kharkov saw heavy engagement by 2. SS Pz "Das Reich" and 1. SS PZ LAH, so no doubt some lids were left behind in and around Kharkov.

?

The leather is hard and brittle on the liner and chinstrap. The aluminum parts of the liner are corroded and will probably come apart if not handled gently. Do you know of any way to save or preserve it?

Is that not a steel liner band inserted into an M40 ? The chinstrap bales appear to be steel wire construction, not aluminum.
    D.

Hi, there are several things that i am not comfortable with as it stands. As mentioned the liner's leather does look like a Norwegian dyed example. The interior surface of the steel is really quite good in comparison to the liner band, they do not match up in wear to me? Also the pins are not showing any area's of paint or white wash to suggest they were present at the time of any over paint? Looks at best to be a put together relic in my opinion. Leon.

?

The liner is steel not aluminum. It would be difficult if not impossible to remove without destroying it.

Would just leave it as is. Sorry I could not help with authenticity. I don't have experience with these. There is much to learn & much exposure to originals needed to be somewhat proficient in giving a solid opinion on relics. It's more like forensics than evaluating an intact helmet.

Would this example be considered "relic condition" ? If not, what constitutes a helmet as a "relic" ? Just a thought
    D.

Jan
    ?

This thread is interesting in many aspects. Even though we wouldnt be able to decide about the authenticity we night all benefit from an open discussion.

That said the decal looks to have been cleaned (possibly originally covered with white paint)?

Best, Jan

The decal is not a blatant fake. It might be good. Again... in this condition, it's forensics. Maybe a USB microscope could determine pulver content & other elements that make an original what it is. Far from bragging, but an intact original SS decal I can spot from a few feet away. Something like this is "out there" & not discernible to me
    D.

Jan
    ?

I know what you are saying here. Just give me a piece of rock and I will tell you instantly if it´s a stone-age tool or not .

Close up microscope analysis would sort this out but this is not possible. Still, it´s very interesting to discuss and observe things here.

Best, Jan